Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Tree delivery today, well saplings anyhow.
I ordered these weeks ago from France but it was held up in the protests so they resent them. Initially they were for a contest that is running over on Ausbonsai where you take Australian native stock under 1cm at the base and have 3 years to style it in a naturalistic way but as they were late getting here I already entered other stuff but I think I will make a 3 year progression thread of these ones anyway.

Left to right are Melaleuca ericifolia, Allocasuarina cunninghamiana, Agonis flexuosa and Banksia speciosa.
The Banksia doesn't have a great deal of info on it aside from it suffers rot quite easily so hopefully it is not too humid in the spring and autumn here for it, may not of been the greatest choice and the Agonis appears to have a lignotuber above the soil line before thinning back down, could be a graft but don't think it is.

IMG_20181231_132301197a.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took a walk through Tatum Park today... some pictures.

20190101_153522.jpg

20190101_153533.jpg

20190101_154231.jpg
Loved the roots on this Beech. Found a couple viable beech seeds while there as well sitting on the ground. Will see if they come up!

20190101_154434.jpg
I couldn't tell if this was a single Black Oak or multiple trees all growing into each other. I'm leaning towards the latter, but it's a very cool tree. It grows on the edge of a brook. Tons of acorns littered the area around it.

20190101_154822.jpg
A Billion Liriodendron Tulipifera seeds were scattered everywhere. A lot of trees had their seed pods still. I hit one with a stick and a billion seeds came out.

20190101_155227.jpg
I had never seen a Yellow Poplar this twisted until...

20190101_155348.jpg
One of the wildest silhouettes of a tree I've seen...

20190101_160750.jpg
Some old english ivy that had started branching off was really cool.

20190101_161129.jpg
Some sort of pine tree with a ton of cones.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So our 4yr old made my brother a Christmas card.
This is a screen shot of the conversation after he got it.

I’ll also add that the “i” and “s” stickers were totally randomly placed and we honestly didn’t see it at all when we sent it off. Man did we laugh though!!!E569D50F-44B0-4E5A-AFC0-E953B2BD86FC.png

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
In Libya right now, not as dangerous as the media makes out!! Some interesting plants on this site. Desiccated med. cypress planted by Italians back in 2004 and loads of big ficus! I feel a potential ground layer coming up!
20181219_092624.jpg20181220_123715.jpg
Some kind of woody succulent!?
20181220_125107.jpg
20181230_132853.jpg20181230_132853.jpg
Tempted to start this a a large cutting, but ground layer might be safer? :0/

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting picture.
It really is! But hard to grasp without some background: In this small country, we have very, very few pieces of wild nature left. This forest has been managed for over 300 years. It started as a spruce production forest, then it got laid to waste after harvest. It has been cultured ever since..
But a few years ago, a small strip of nature, less than a mile wide and about 40 miles long became protected. The only culture to be found has to do with local farmers and the excess water from their fields. All pig farms in the area now have air filters, so there's a huge decrease in atmospheric ammonia. Suddenly things can grow again.
Woodpeckers, deer, hogs and now even beavers and the occasional eagle have returned, originating from German forests. There's an explosion of flora and fauna happening and I'm glad to stroll around in it.
Five years ago, it was an entirely different forest. Everything below the tree tops was either dead or dying, now it's reviving and the diversity that can be caught in a single picture is a good sign of progression.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It really is! But hard to grasp without some background: In this small country, we have very, very few pieces of wild nature left. This forest has been managed for over 300 years. It started as a spruce production forest, then it got laid to waste after harvest. It has been cultured ever since..
But a few years ago, a small strip of nature, less than a mile wide and about 40 miles long became protected. The only culture to be found has to do with local farmers and the excess water from their fields. All pig farms in the area now have air filters, so there's a huge decrease in atmospheric ammonia. Suddenly things can grow again.
Woodpeckers, deer, hogs and now even beavers and the occasional eagle have returned, originating from German forests. There's an explosion of flora and fauna happening and I'm glad to stroll around in it.
Five years ago, it was an entirely different forest. Everything below the tree tops was either dead or dying, now it's reviving and the diversity that can be caught in a single picture is a good sign of progression.
I'm glad to see the revival. If everyone does their part, things can be so much better. I myself am working on turning my 6 acre homestead into a Niwaki forest of native trees like live oaks, persimmon, bald cypress etc...

Reaction score

Where is that WGW? Somewhere in Limboland? I think I read some stuff about pieces of land starting to get protected over there the other week. Btw, amazing to see nature's flexibility and ability to bounce back from trauma!

Top Bottom