Please steer me in the right direction regarding successful cutting propagation

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have researched a lot on cutting propagation. I live in an arid climate area. Karoo South Africa to be exact. I have a couple of cuttings that I am trying to propagate but have difficulties. I use peat moss - I add a dome (plastic bag with an elastic) and wait. Some of the cuttings contracted fungus. I read up on that and came across advice to mix 3% hydrogen peroxide with water and mist them - which I do, and it helped a lot with fungus. Are the ones that had quite a bit of fungus still salvageable? Some of the cuttings sported new growths. There are conflicting statements that you should keep your cuttings wet, others say you must never let them soak up water. Some say domed, some not. The only justification I have is that my climate is warm/dry and domed keeps them humid, although they are in our scullery. When do I open the soil & check for roots?
Another question.. I have western redbud cuttings that I really want to propagate - Apparently it is difficult. Should I rather consider chip budding?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting cuz they say eastern ones are easy.

Welcome to Crazy!

All I see is this fungus/peroxide pattern.

Before you know it, you'll be reintroducing something the peroxide altered...so on so on so on.....

Don't fix the fungus.
Prevent it.

A couple holes oughta do the trick.

Why cuttings?

Sorce

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Interesting cuz they say eastern ones are easy.

Welcome to Crazy!

All I see is this fungus/peroxide pattern.

Before you know it, you'll be reintroducing something the peroxide altered...so on so on so on.....

Don't fix the fungus.
Prevent it.

A couple holes oughta do the trick.

Why cuttings?

Sorce
I Tried quite a bit of air layering.. very little succes. I think maybe i need tot revisit this and try different ways that might be conducive in our environment. I simply like cuttings because i see a tree in our town and can approach the owner, take a piece and try to propagate it at home. What do you think?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Try adding a bit of Perlite/Pumice to your media. Say 50/50, or slightly more peat if it dries out too fast.
I think you are facing two problems from my thinking.
1. Media holding too much moisture and maybe causing rot etc.
2. Cuttings leaves transpiring too much as humidity dome is not quite helping enough, then you would need a misting system.

Are you using a rooting hormone with IBA? If not then that will help heaps.
Also, growing your trees native to your arid environment will make life easier to start.
Lastly, the old saying “walk before you can run” Eg. Try some really easy stuff first, get success, then move on etc.
Charles

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've been working on cherry tree cuttings all summer and one of the best tips I found was to completely douse or soak cuttings in peroxide/water mixture before putting into the cutting media. And then I used straight perlite. Without loose organics in the chamber it really delays fungus quite well, several weeks for me. And then enhance by regular peroxide spraying.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think

Do the easiest stuff and the hardest stuff.

Of those redbuds are the hardest to do.
Skip it.

When you succeed with the airlayers, they will be easy and much more rewarding.

Sorce

Top Bottom