Please, take into account..

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK!!!!! If you get a pm like this be very suspicious

Text of the PM:
Hello, friend. There are viruses' activities from your computer in last few days. Strongly recommend you to check your computer. You can find a report about your computer's security and solve every problem with it here:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Text of the PM:
Hello, friend. There are viruses' activities from your computer in last few days. Strongly recommend you to check your computer. You can find a report about your computer's security and solve every problem with it here:

The wording alone should make you suspicious, the claims even more so especially if you have a virus detection program installed already. There is a lot of crapola going on out there right now, one of our members just had his email account hijacked and caused him a lot of embarrassment. This is one of the ways these miscreants get into your private settings and send out a lot of material to your friends and contacts asking for money.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score

Text of the PM:
======================================================================

A message to the idiot sending these PM's. You should get a virus. H1N1. Serve you right.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Speaking of email accounts, everyone should have the following as a contact:

000-000 = contact name
000-000@000.000 = email address

Should you get infected, it saves the rest of your friends. Viruses go to the first contact, the one above will always be the first listed. It attaches itself to it, and chases its tail and don't go nowhere, preventing the email virus from being sent to friends.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I clicked on it and was pleasantly surprised...

It led me to three good links on Macrame which I can use in my book. Woohoo!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I clicked on it and was pleasantly surprised...

It led me to three good links on Macrame which I can use in my book. Woohoo!

I can buy drugs from 2000 people in Canada, cheap.

Sam

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

000-000 = contact name

Should you get infected, it saves the rest of your friends. Viruses go to the first contact, the one above will always be the first listed. It attaches itself to it, and chases its tail and don't go nowhere, preventing the email virus from being sent to friends.

That's a great idea. We just enter that into our address books?

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got a PM from ManInBlackk about my pc having a virus. Since it was only the second PM I have ever received I read with caution. I did not click on the link as I know of only 2 sites "Symantec.com" and McAfee.com that do a free scan. Out of a 40 hour work week, I spend 20 hours trying to remove "false anti-virus" programs. I recommend the user account ManInBlackk be removed from this site as soon as possible. Always remember nothing is Free, the Free game you download, for the most part it has something attached or packed in that you do not want.
Be Slow to Click
Michael

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

000-000 = contact name

I'd really like to know exactly how that works .... what is the logic behind how this protects anything/anyone?

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Eric,

From a guru, e-mail spaming viruses (the ones that look at your contacts) and mail themselves to your friends/contacts, cannot with this addition to your address book. The aforementioned name/address will always be the first one in your contact list (by virtue of its name e.g 000...

Should you inadvertently open an e-mail that activates one of these, when it hits the 000... address it stops there. The virus is designed to sends itself via the first contact, once done and sent, then attaches himself to the second and sends himself off (like sowing his wild oats) and so on and so forth.

Because it cant fully execute the command (held within the virus) it basically sits there marking time, not going anywhere until: it reaches it's predestined expiration or is detected and removed via virus software. All I know is that it works...

Now mind you hackers could indeed develop a virus to go around the 000 and if found, start from your second contact.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing that will happen, Rick, is that it will send the message to 000@00.com and then move on to the next address in your address book. It's going to send the email regardless of whether there is a "cannot deliver" message. Whomever your "guru" is, is not taking that into consideration. It is not
going to monitor nor wait for a server response. It isn't even looking at incoming messages.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The only thing that will happen, Rick, is that it will send the message to 000@00.com and then move on to the next address in your address book. It's going to send the email regardless of whether there is a "cannot deliver" message. Whomever your "guru" is, is not taking that into consideration. It is not
going to monitor nor wait for a server response. It isn't even looking at incoming messages.

The above stated address is incorrect. The correct address is: 000-000@000.000 As this is not an dot com or dot ca or dot whatever, apparently it can't even send it, it acts as a sort of firewall apparently. Hey I'm no hacker so I don't know all the ins and outs of it. I do know however that a couple of friends of ours were infected by an e-mail virus, which sent itself to all their contacts I was on their contacts list. I know of this because several got infected and had apologized that folks got corrupted etc... I didn't.

Maybe there is something more to this anecdote, I don't know. It would be nice to find out though.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Eric,

From a guru, e-mail spaming viruses (the ones that look at your contacts) and mail themselves to your friends/contacts, cannot with this addition to your address book. The aforementioned name/address will always be the first one in your contact list (by virtue of its name e.g 000...

Should you inadvertently open an e-mail that activates one of these, when it hits the 000... address it stops there. The virus is designed to sends itself via the first contact, once done and sent, then attaches himself to the second and sends himself off (like sowing his wild oats) and so on and so forth.

Because it cant fully execute the command (held within the virus) it basically sits there marking time, not going anywhere until: it reaches it's predestined expiration or is detected and removed via virus software. All I know is that it works...

Now mind you hackers could indeed develop a virus to go around the 000 and if found, start from your second contact.

Ok so I asked the question in a sort of sarcastic way (i apologize for that).... but I _can_ tell you that this is not the case. As someone who has written their fair share of software that sends email I can tell you that this does not work.

It's the equivalent of having the person who would normally be your first contact having a bad email address. A message is attempted to be sent, unless the virus uses a regular expression to pattern match and determine that the email is fictitious and then it wouldn't even bother... this by the way takes about 2 mins to implement, and then it moves on attempting to send to others.

So take it from a different guru (i write software for a living) ... you were most likely not infected because your email provider scanned the message for viruses before ever delivering it to you and having found one did the smart thing and quarantined it.

Again I apologize for the leading question.

what would really blow your mind is that I can send you an email from yourself from just about any internet connected computer in the world.. without any special tools.

Last edited:

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The above stated address is incorrect. The correct address is: 000-000@000.000

LOL - sorry Rick, it doesn't matter - I was just showing <null> for the addresss. That is what you were talking about.

It's the equivalent of having the person who would normally be your first contact having a bad email address

Uh.... that's what I just said.

Oh, never mind...............

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The above stated address is incorrect. The correct address is: 000-000@000.000

LOL - sorry Rick, it doesn't matter - I was just showing <null> for the addresss. That is what you were talking about.

It's the equivalent of having the person who would normally be your first contact having a bad email address

Uh.... that's what I just said.

Oh, never mind...............
Eric provided me with the answer. At least it is good to know that someone is on the ball (ISP) at my end.

Top Bottom