PLEEEASE HELP!!! What do u think???

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Just found this love for bonsai and i began looking and searching everywhere. In the yard i found 2 possible candidates for my first bonsai 1 crepe myrtle and 1 liquidambar styraciflua. I found a third that i cant identify nearby.I need to know if the two at my home are worth digging up and and when is a good time to.I cant identify the third one but its in rock with a small pocket of soil, how and when to collect it?

Attachments

• 20190816_181715.jpg
    20190816_181715.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190816_181951.jpg
    20190816_181951.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190816_181854.jpg
    20190816_181854.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190816_181923.jpg
    20190816_181923.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190731_113819.jpg
    20190731_113819.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20190731_113832.jpg
    20190731_113832.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 100

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The crape and sweet gum both look ready made for bonsai! Looks as though someone else had the same idea.

The third is Willow Oak

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The first two are definitely worth it but I would not dig them up for about 4-5 years. It’s actually great that they are in your yard because you don’t have to dig them. You should decide what you want them to look like 10 years from now and work on them in the ground. They will grow and heal much better in the ground. When you pot them up it will set them back greatly and will be much slower developing. Looks like someone was already developing these as bonsai. All you have to do is take over where they left off. Develop taper and branch structure etc.

Last edited:

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Damn the liquidambar looks like it has great potential. These were all just growing in your yard like this?
Yeah on the side of the house. Theres actually 2 more that the first home owners planted 10 years prior to me purchasing the house 8 years ago

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To answer your other question, when a good time to dig? Likely not now. Please update your location and zone on your profile. If it were me here in PNW I would wait another couple months... Also, expect to kill a few on your first go at digging! 😆 Hard to know if the material is good to dig until you start digging in- literally.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just found this love for bonsai and i began looking and searching everywhere. In the yard i found 2 possible candidates for my first bonsai 1 crepe myrtle and 1 liquidambar styraciflua. I found a third that i cant identify nearby.I need to know if the two at my home are worth digging up and and when is a good time to.I cant identify the third one but its in rock with a small pocket of soil, how and when to collect it?
If you're satisfied with the trunk size, lift the Crape next spring and the Sweetgum in May. Can't advise on the Willow oak, looks like the rock wants it pretty bad.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
If you're satisfied with the trunk size, lift the Crape next spring and the Sweetgum in May. Can't advise on the Willow oak, looks like the rock wants it pretty bad.
Thank you sir

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah that first one is nice.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Eric H

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DUDE!!! That’s awesome!! Just growing like that? Just walk outside and trip over a sexy little trunk? Too cool!!!! I’m a newb, so my opinion and a dollar won’t get you a cup of coffee, but I’d buy one or two plants of the species in your yard, keep them alive and learn from them them while you ponder the eventual look of the beauties in your yard... that way, if you kill them, you’ll have learned the lesson that only cost you some bucks, not a rare chance at beautiful in-ground action you already have. IMHO.
E

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PLEEASE HELP!!! I HAVE TOO MANY AMAZING BONSAI TREES ACCIDENTALLY GROWING IN MY YAAARD!!! :D :D :D

I felt the same way when I kind of started the bonsai hobby this year. It was like a mad rush to dig up every tree I could find on my property and stick it into a pot. Then I read a lot more here and realized that I should just leave them in the ground until they are ready to go into pots. It looks like you've got some great trees already waiting for you!

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Did they plant with the intention of them being bonsai?
I dont know before I found bonsai i just use to cut them down. Once i started researching bonsai i started walking around the woods in my neighborhood and then i remembered these on the side of my house. I really just want to dig em up and pot them but thanks to some great advice on here im just gonna leave them in the ground and train them.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont know before I found bonsai i just use to cut them down. Once i started researching bonsai i started walking around the woods in my neighborhood and then i remembered these on the side of my house. I really just want to dig em up and pot them but thanks to some great advice on here im just gonna leave them in the ground and train them.
Resisting the temptation to do something as a newbie is tough! The fact that you show patience and thoughtfulness and are open to learning put you far ahead already. Knowing is half the battle!

Top Bottom