Plenty of Plums

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had the opportunity to add this plum to my benches. It was started from seed about 17 years ago by our study group instructor.
I was told it has small white flowers.
I'm going to try to work on ramification moving forward.

Anyone working with plum? Feel free to share your thoughts, photos , experience.

Attachments

• 20200929_075034.jpg
    20200929_075034.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 57

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Prunus are a good bonsai species. WP has many examples. do you know what type of Prunus it is?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Prunus are a good bonsai species. WP has many examples. do you know what type of Prunus it is?

It was unknown on the type other than it has small white flowers. I saw some plums are hybrids of different types. I came across some threads on sandcherry that looked like a possibility based on the leaves only.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Defoliate now and tip prune and edit it.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks a lot like Prunus cerasifera var. pissardii or similar cv - often planted in the past as street or garden tree here in UK - but can be prone to various leaf diseases

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Bobby! I found a few WP threads. He included some helpful tips regarding Prunus cerasifera. This is in agreement with the advice of the previous owner of the tree. Prunus cerasifera being weaker than Prunus malab. I will not be defoliating during the growing season .

Probably will defoliate in a few weeks as the season ends.

Last edited:

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks a lot like Prunus cerasifera var. pissardii or similar cv - often planted in the past as street or garden tree here in UK - but can be prone to various leaf diseases
Thanks for the information.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Autumn is approaching, this is not the right time to defoliate. The first frost will do your defoliation, don't do anything before that. The tree needs to finish out its growth for the year and go dormant for winter.

Plums in general make good bonsai. Disease is always an issue, but not impossible to manage. Nice start. I like the purple leaves.

Top Bottom