Pls. help identify my bonsai

angelae

Seed
Reaction score
Hi! Kindly help identify the bonsai below. This was just a gift and i want to know how to take care of it.

Thank you.

bonsai.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting tree. I have never seen anything braided quite like that one but I would guess Money Tree. You could search money tree care for help taking care of it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves resemble a Money Tree but Might be to short for that I think. The stems or branches of a Money Tree should tend to look more like bamboo. But there are varieties of the Money Tree. So that might not be a rule...just my experience. Here’s a photo of the Money Tree stems next to me. You can see braiding started on this tree and can still see the bamboo-like structure of the stems.

The Money Tree survives with water. Just enough to keep the roots wet. To much water and the roots just grow higher up. No water = dead tree. The Money Tree survives in stones and water. No soil is needed. Water is required. Money Trees are grown in a container without drainage holes....draining would be deadly...roots have to stay wet.
My experience.

Attachments

• E33267D0-8C68-4D80-8444-4E87B3F691AD.jpeg
    E33267D0-8C68-4D80-8444-4E87B3F691AD.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 23

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going with ficus....

Looks like a fusion project.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with @sorce, this is a ficus. Keep it near a bright window, away from cold drafts and water it about every other day or when the surface soil feels dry to the touch. I don't know where you are, but you can put it outside once temperatures are consistently (and constantly: day and night) above 45F.

Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still cant get over all them thin ass whips.

Some seem dead in there too...

Miss @angelae if you can trace down the dead ones, it is probly a good idea to trim them out to make room for the live ones.

The intention there is to get all the trunks to fuse together , creating one larger tree faster.

But it can get real patchy iffin they start dying.

Brush Cherry ? Ill take it...cuz it doesnt say ficus for sure.

Probly harder to fuse them.

Where did this come from?

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If it gets little purple flowers it is definitely Cuphea hyssopifolia

I have seen these braided stems of Cuphea before. Not common but it was done for a florist, you don't often see this done.

The trunks will fuse in time. Nice

Look up Cuphea.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll only add that cuphea has cultivars with purple, pink or white little flowers.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Money tree it's not, I can tell you; its leaves are palmate compound, and naturally the size of a man's handspan.

Can you post a clearer picture? I'm afraid the one above doesn't show enough detail for anyone to be sure: Cuphea, Serissa, and some of the small-leaf Ficus are all possibilities until we can see more.

And - am I the only one to whom the "braiding" looks like it might be a wire frame? (In this picture, anyway.)

Top Bottom