Plum

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since the rain continues to fall... heres some repotting pictures. This is a plum that is tired of it's nursery pot (it told me). It was in bloom but I dutifully plucked off all it's blooms a few weeks ago (except one). Honestly, it killed me a little. Hope I see those flowers again. :eek:

Attachments

• Plum pre-repot.jpg
    Plum pre-repot.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Blooms.jpg
    Blooms.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 74
  • plum blooms.jpg
    plum blooms.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 67

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is after the repot. I was going to go buy a mica training pot (the tree still needs lots of work). Instead I used this pot. Thoughts? I need some honest opinions so lay it on me. I have thick skin.

Attachments

• repotted plum.jpg
    repotted plum.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a great little tree. Did you buy it at a bonsai nursery? It looks like it was born to be a bonsai. My only concern is that that left upper trunk appears to be thicker than the right, major trunk. Perhaps this will disappear as the larger trunk gets some more girth on it.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I would have liked to have the tree on the opposite side of the pot because of the position of the lowest branch and the slight lean. Unfortunately a fleshy root made this an impossibility...for now. That whole horticultural thing gets in the way of the design sometimes....

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those two branches are about even in real life. But they are very close and and I agree it would be better if that second trunk was thinner. And yes this one came from a bonsai nursery. It's not your typical nursery stock (every time I buy that I end up kicking myself and sticking it in the ground for a million years while vowing to never do it again....I literally have rows of those purchases). I did reduce it quite a bit but can't claim I grew this one from seed.;)

Attachments

• Plum outside.jpg
    Plum outside.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So...during this repot, what did you do with the root that prevented you from placing the tree where you wanted it to set yourself up for the next repot?

What is the vision for the tree? The material has lots of potential...it's nice to look at now. Ultimately, do you see this as a single-trunk, or will you grow one of the two trunks to get some difference in thickness?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My thoughts were to allow a fair amount of growth on the lower 2/3 of the taller trunk in order to help build some thickness on the taller trunk and that lowest branch above the fork. Several larger roots were actually removed (if you look you can see a nub at the bast of the tree). Because I had reduced the root ball a fair amount I actually didn't do much to the offending root. I thought after the rest of the roots sort took off (next repot) I'd lay into it. Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough but I have a hx of being overly aggressive (with roots that is!). What would you guys do with it?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eventually maybe that second short trunk could be reduced to the lowest branch since the top of it is kinda ugly. I don't know that I'd ever voluntarily get rid of that second shorter trunk since it would leave a huge scar and the back of it already has a trunk chop.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eventually maybe that second short trunk could be reduced to the lowest branch since the top of it is kinda ugly. I don't know that I'd ever voluntarily get rid of that second shorter trunk since it would leave a huge scar and the back of it already has a trunk chop.

You might consider trying to work back that second "trunk" (forming what we call a slingshot) over time. It draws the eye, which distracts from what is a very nice tree otherwise.

At some point you should be able to just whack that fleshy root back and have it sprout from the cut end. I'd dust with rooting powder when I did it, if it were mine. That will allow for re-setting the tree's position in the pot.

All in all you've got a great little bonsai started.

Zach

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough but I have a hx of being overly aggressive (with roots that is!). What would you guys do with it?

I might have started with removing the offending root, and removed less on smaller ones...but it's easy to say that without seeing what you were working with.

If it was mine, I'd live with it for a year or two; turn it, move it to different places on the bench...the solution will come. It's a good tree just as it is, but over time, you'll want to beef up one of the trunks or remove one because they are similar in diameter.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice Prunus, Jason! I actually really like the second trunk. It gives the tree a more naturalistic look to it. Deciduous trees in nature often have multiple trunks rather than one central leader like a typical pine. My only criticisms are of the two upper branches on the primary trunk. Although in reality they may not be a true "bar branch", they look close enough to appear so. I would remove the one on the left. In addition, the branch on the right is quite thick and stiff straight. I'd consider cutting it back a bit and growing it out to put some movement and taper in it. These are easy fixes, though. Again, nice tree and keep us posted of developments.:)

Top Bottom