Poddy Question?

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Bnutters!

I have a podocarpus that I plan to do two air layers and a trunk chop down to the first branch. Its overwintering indoors at the moment, but is still growing fast (fast for a podocarpus that is!!) do you think it would be safe to start the air layers already and get some growth for spring or should I be patient and wait???

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bnutters!

I have a podocarpus that I plan to do two air layers and a trunk chop down to the first branch. Its overwintering indoors at the moment, but is still growing fast (fast for a podocarpus that is!!) do you think it would be safe to start the air layers already and get some growth for spring or should I be patient and wait???
Questions abound. Is this too good to airlayer off parts? How big? What does it look like? Believe hardy there, why is indoors?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bnutters!

Good question. I personally would give it a try and see how it goes. But this goes against conventional wisdom which would say to wait :)

Did you see HH page?

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Podocarpus cuts.jpg

Hi @Potawatomi13

This is the specimen in question. This is how I bought it earlier this year (for not alot of money!!) The top layer will be further up. Left branch layered probably to make a windy wonder. Then I will chop at the new branch coming off.

So to answer your questions.
1. Too Good?... No It's crap.
2. How Big?... Tall and lanky.
3. What does it look like?... Please see first answer.
4. Hardy Here?... Maybe, just about. But we have had heavy frosts all week. I think they can survive the odd light frost. So I think it is better indoors until the heavier frosts have moved away.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your plan can work. Essentially chopping down to just a sprig on the main trunk. It will take years.

In the interest of working with what you have, I would keep the left side. Go ahead with the air layer on the right side. On the left side, the first branch on the right I would keep, cut the trunk above there. But that is my take from a single photo.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreement to layer both sides at proper season but not to cut at lowest mark. If keeping left side need to bend straight section. Hardy to USDA Zone 7;)as long as roots do not hard freeze.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all the advice guys. The first left branch isn't too healthy at the moment. If it perks up I will definitely look at keeping it attached to the main trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Podocarpus will backbud, so I recommend you go ahead and do your first air layer, then see what options arise with backbudding. I also think that chopping as low as you have planned would be a mistake, unless you intend to create a small, shohin-sized tree. Even then, it will take a long time for that leader to build taper and branching. I have a large podocarpus that was ground grown in Florida before coming to me, and none of the side branches are quite big enough to make a trunk section out of. There is already good taper on yours between the main trunk and the top branch, so with the right backbudding you could build your tree from there. Also remember that these are conifers, so you should plan your cuts to allow for future jin/shari. Adam Levine has a lot of good examples on his blog.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks luvin,

I think everyone is right about the low chop.

Nice blog you lead me too. I wonder who looks after his trees when he is on a world tour....🎶🤣

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I am chuffed to report that my first ever air layer has struck. I had a sneek peek today and it has rooted thickly all the way around it's introduced some good trunk flare aswell. The roots are only a couple of cm long so I have given it some fresh moss and bagged it in a black plastic bag. I will chop it in June. Can't wait!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The roots are only a couple of cm long
Call me crazy, but I often separate at that stage. Biggest risk are dry wind and the short roots breaking. but if you can prevent both from happening, you can provide the roots with real space, and the risk of the airlayer drying out in between is reduced. But as said. They call me crazy.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Call me crazy, but I often separate at that stage. Biggest risk are dry wind and the short roots breaking. but if you can prevent both from happening, you can provide the roots with real space, and the risk of the airlayer drying out in between is reduced. But as said. They call me crazy.
I would, but I don't think I could stabilize the tree in a pot sufficiently without putting too much pressure on the roots and probably breaking them.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would, but I don't think I could stabilize the tree in a pot sufficiently without putting too much pressure on the roots and probably breaking them.
When potting can put bottom stub of trunk against bottom of pot. After woody roots develop next repot then can remove bottom trunk stub;).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When potting can put bottom stub of trunk against bottom of pot. After woody roots develop next repot then can remove bottom trunk stub;).
I use rots often too. That is also functional. And a trie-point tie-down to the sides of the pot. But yeah, there is that risk.

Top Bottom