Podocarpus marcophyllus how to

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey i just got this beautiful big podocarpus. it's about 1m in heigt, the stem is around 3,5 - 4 cm in width.

I want to make cutting and/or layers and grow new little tree's from it in a few months/years. Depending on how long it takes to feel comfy in it's new pot.

How would i go about it with this tree, there are many diffrent ways. Some say this plant can regrow from cuttings, others say air layer pencil width branches and wait 3 months for roots. How would you experienced people go about it ?

IMG-20210225-WA0007.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, all your options ca and do work.

Cuttings work better if you have bottom heat, from a horticultural heat mat under the pots with the cuttings.

Air layers work best as you said from pencil thick stems, and a little larger in diameter, but not as easily on greater than 2.5 cm diameter branches. Larger branches and trunks can be air layered, but the length of time can be 5 times longer or more for roots to form, and sometimes larger diameter layers simply refuse to produce roots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not experienced by any means, but I can tell you that I took a couple 2cm cuttings off my large podocarpus over a month ago, and stuck them in DE. While I have not checked for roots the foliage remains green. The cuttings are sitting in my large grow tent where temperature and humidity are pretty consistently high, and the pot gets watered about once a week.

Top Bottom