Podocarpus styling

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hello,
Purchased this podocarpus 2-3 years back, was already styled but in nursery soil. Half bare rooted 2 years ago and styled branches a bit and left it to grow till now to recover. Planning to prune the branches that shot straight up, maybe use one of them, refine the pads by working and pruning some leaves. Remove one thick branch not showing in this pic as its a bifurcation of 3.
Ideally would have compressed the left side as tree moves to the left and let the left side elongate and took the apex maybe to the right.
Looking at developed branches and defining branch at lower right guess I will do the opposite and elongate on right, compress left side.
-Wondering if apex is to go to right or left ???
-Is it better to do this now or late water before tree starts growing ?
Thanks
Screenshot_20230111_090413_Gallery.jpg

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hi Maroun -
is this still available to comment on?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hello,
Yes tree is still available and roughly in same state as in Jan with some more growth.
Screenshot_20230901_172338_Gallery.jpg
Appreciate any input

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to say the design could be improved with the attempt to go smaller and smaller branches as you go up, and the areas where you have t-branches or branches coming out at same level prune or shari those, the wood is very lasting.
I say on this species don't be afraid to make it look a little topiary like, it seems it is what the tree wants to be on most.
Here where I am podocarpus grows most in fall, so that is when I structural prune.
Beautiful tree, good luck

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the info
Will prune to clean up the crazy growth it had coming fall and will gradually move as suggested with the branches, thanks for the info.

Top Bottom