Podocarpus summer repot

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few podocarpus and haven't lost one repotting in summer, but they were nursery stock. This bigger one I worry about a little more so I thought I would ask.
It was collected from a yard will need a cement tub or something. Has been in a half drum in garden soil the last couple of years. Would like to get in pumice so I can move it.
The information I find online for 'ideal' time is all over the map, some saying spring, some summer, fall, some sites saying it is a southern conifer.
Any input would help.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, let us just say that repotting is the most risky during winter dormancy. Then when new growth is extending. Otherwise, flip a coin.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Podocarpus are wide spread genus - a remnant from Gondwana now from South America, Australasia, Africa, Pacific Islands right through to China and Japan and includes quite a lot of diverse species so it is no wonder there's a range of options for timing.
Usually a wide divergence of opinions on good time for repotting reflects the fact that the species or genus can be done through most of the year.
I'd repot our Aussie native species in warmer weather but in warmer locations growers do it all year round.
I know at least one of the far northern species - P. macrophyllus - is quite happy with winter/spring repotting, having done that a few times, but I have not tried repotting in summer with that sp.

Well, let us just say that repotting is the most risky during winter dormancy. Then when new growth is extending.
Just a note to let you know I don't have any problem repotting and root pruning most of my native Aussie trees when they have new shoots extending. Most don't even pause growth, just keep on growing.

Top Bottom