Poison Ivy yamadori

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys when I collected this vine I didn't even know it was a poison ivy. The movement is amazing and nebari is decent as well so I can't bring myself to part with it. Got the new leader in the perfect spot! Any tips on how to get rid of its oil from my tools , or how to work on it safely would be great.

IMG_20160603_200145.jpg IMG_20160603_200156.jpg

Last edited:

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you have reactions to it after handling ? I have a buddy that ate it on purpose one time , is completely immune to it now. Fucker chews glass too ,could write a book about him and his family. Great dude.solid.

But I don't recommend eating it please.

Lather your body in calomine lotion and work on it ? Idk there's material out there that won't make you break out and itch horribly.

Stay away from the foeminao_O:p

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
As much as poison ivy loves me, I wouldnt touch that thing with a 10 ft pole. I dont care if its the best trunk in the world....

Good luck
Totally would agree with you. If i didn't collect this yet, and I knew what it was, I never would of collected it.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do you have reactions to it after handling ? I have a buddy that ate it on purpose one time , is completely immune to it now. Fucker chews glass too ,could write a book about him and his family. Great dude.solid.

But I don't recommend eating it please.

Lather your body in calomine lotion and work on it ? Idk there's material out there that won't make you break out and itch horribly.

Stay away from the foeminao_O:p
I did, I had a reaction on my arms legs and nether region after I collected it. Maybe small doses will make me immune... like that guy who injects himself with snake venom. lol

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Tecnu soap works well. BTW, don't touch me or anything that belongs to me.:p

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
When I was young, two friends and I had a "royal rumble" (wrestling match) in the woods one day. Didn't know the green patch on the ground we were rolling around, punching each other in, was all poison ivy. All 3 of us swelled up like the Michelin Man for a week. My face was so puffy that my uncle didn't recognize me. Ever since then, I have been immune.
I think it's cool by the way. Just wear gloves, don't scratch your eyes and wash tools well.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
When I was young, two friends and I had a "royal rumble" (wrestling match) in the woods one day. Didn't know the green patch on the ground we were rolling around, punching each other in, was all poison ivy. All 3 of us swelled up like the Michelin Man for a week. My face was so puffy that my uncle didn't recognize me. Ever since then, I have been immune.
I think it's cool by the way. Just wear gloves, don't scratch your eyes and wash tools well.
Maybe I'm immune now toooooo. Not willing to test though lol

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rubber gloves for your hands I would grab some safety glasses to... just in case.

And soap an hot water should be fine for your tools.

Good luck on this. Can't wait to see an update. Iv got a hole back yard full of stuff like your. Maybe willing to risk it some day .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, just because you are "immune" to poison ivy, doesn't mean that "immunity" will continue.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/poison-ivy2.htm

Nice little trunk on yours. FWIW, poison ivy can get very, very big and develop spectacular muscular trunks that can be literally a hundred years old. There are some huge poison ivy vines growing up old growth sycamore and tulip poplar around my neck of the woods.
This guy shows you basically what you should probably wear collecting the damn things. BTW the trunk he's got is in the small to medium size range.

They are also pretty rampant growers, just like any vine. I don't want one because I don't want to have to keep an eye on coming in contact with it every time I work on my trees. Also, compound leaves...same problem as wisteria.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
FWIW, just because you are "immune" to poison ivy, doesn't mean that "immunity" will continue.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/poison-ivy2.htm

Nice little trunk on yours. FWIW, poison ivy can get very, very big and develop spectacular muscular trunks that can be literally a hundred years old. There are some huge poison ivy vines growing up old growth sycamore and tulip poplar around my neck of the woods.
This guy shows you basically what you should probably wear collecting the damn things. BTW the trunk he's got is in the small to medium size range.

They are also pretty rampant growers, just like any vine. I don't want one because I don't want to have to keep an eye on coming in contact with it every time I work on my trees. Also, compound leaves...same problem as wisteria.
I keep thinking how nice a bonsai that ivy would of made in the vid lol.

Top Bottom