Poison sumac?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this little guy in the woods the other day not sure what it was about it but I liked it. I dug it up and decided to put it in the back corner of my yard. Decided to figure out what it was and after looking at a few pictures looked a little like poison sumac to me. Any ideas if I need to chuck it back in the woods before I get a nasty rash

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 25

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like boxelder to me. Rub ot under your chin and let us know what happens.
CW

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this little guy in the woods the other day not sure what it was about it but I liked it. I dug it up and decided to put it in the back corner of my yard. Decided to figure out what it was and after looking at a few pictures looked a little like poison sumac to me. Any ideas if I need to chuck it back in the woods before I get a nasty rash

View attachment 103111 View attachment 103112 View attachment 103113 View attachment 103114

I dont know if it is.....

But if you do get a rash...

Try hard to convince yourself it was for digging shitty material!

Then you will get better real fast!

Sorce

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont know if it is.....

But if you do get a rash...

Try hard to convince yourself it was for digging shitty material!

Then you will get better real fast!

Sorce
Ouch harsh. Didn't say anything about being good material just said for what ever reason I just liked it kind of like an ugly dog that's cute because it's so ugly. Found another one a few years older with a pretty decent trunk but left that in the woods for now.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like boxelder to me. Rub ot under your chin and let us know what happens.
CW
Don't think it's a box elder the pictures I've seen of the the leaves have small lobes or large teeth depending on the picture. This has smooth leaves.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like Sumac some have an immunity others break out in an ungodly rash and need to go to the ER, some just feel the toxicity burn,scratchy,itchy watery eyes etc...LOL
Sumac have leaves all the way to the ground I think.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I throw out a guess of an ash. I don't believe poison sumac grows that far north. One way of telling the nasty stuff is that the sap oxidizes black from wounds after a couple of days. Of course by then it's too late, the victim is itching away.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Just looked at range maps. All were different. But it does occur further north than I thought. Grows in swampy areas. White berries are a giveaway. If you dug it a day or two ago, you would probably already be showing symptoms.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I throw out a guess of an ash. I don't believe poison sumac grows that far north. One way of telling the nasty stuff is that the sap oxidizes black from wounds after a couple of days. Of course by then it's too late, the victim is itching away.
Ash crossed my mind because the leaves being lined up on each side of the stem. Might be about the only ash tree living around here if it is. They pretty much dropped like flies the last few year because the emerald ash bore.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Oh no.....

Straight everything.....

Except for that everclear and lemon lemoncello from a couple weeks ago....

But I will .....a Fuck.....I can't say never!

Lol! It was free! If it's FREE....I drink it!

Sorce

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just looked at range maps. All were different. But it does occur further north than I thought. Grows in swampy areas. White berries are a giveaway. If you dug it a day or two ago, you would probably already be showing symptoms.
Yeah it's around here and I'm really allergic to poison ivy. I couldn't remember if I came in and washed my hands really well after digging it up. But your right I'd probably still have something from it by now. I'm leaning toward ash

Top Bottom