Politics and Bonsai

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This hobby and this forum are such an amazing escape for me… In fact my wife may argue too much of an escape LOL.
Since the nuthouse started posting ads… They never really bothered me at all. Forums got to do what a forums gotta do, right?
In fact on more than one occasion I have been tempted to try that eggless egg product that has been advertised… Vegan eggs… What will they think of next? Even the Facebook ads are benign.
But these political ads… They totally suck! Regardless of what side of the fence anybody stands… Bonsai and politics don’t mix.
That’s all I got… Hope everyone is well.
A3A08567-E6C4-4DA8-84B7-38E5D9995FAC.png

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This hobby and this forum are such an amazing escape for me… In fact my wife may argue too much of an escape LOL.
Since the nuthouse started posting ads… They never really bothered me at all. Forums got to do what a forums gotta do, right?
In fact on more than one occasion I have been tempted to try that eggless egg product that has been advertised… Vegan eggs… What will they think of next? Even the Facebook ads are benign.
But these political ads… They totally suck! Regardless of what side of the fence anybody stands… Bonsai and politics don’t mix.
That’s all I got… Hope everyone is well.
View attachment 292512
I feel you

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The ads you see on this website, or any website, have more to do with your internet activity than anything else. B-Nut doesn't choose the ads that appear here. Rather, someone with your browsing history (spoiler: it's you!) is being targeted by the Trump re-election campaign.

I work in live entertainment and my browsing history reflects that. Based on my internet use, 75% of the ads I see are for theater, concerts and comedians.

PS: You can click the little AdChoices triangle in the ad and block it.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I saw that ad, too!

Interesting : here (France, and I think most European countries except perhaps Poland or Hungary), advertisements must comply to a set of ethical rules.

This kind of propaganda would be banned in a true democracy : insulting your opponents is totally unthinkable.

Of course I can do it as an individual, on social media or at the local café, but no one would be publicly so gross, so vulgar when opposing a candidate from another party. Well, maybe some would...
OK, the far-right does and the far-left will. But civilized people, whether they're on one side or the other won't.

Also, the money one can spend on a campaign is limited, and controlled : here we think an election must not be "bought". not even with money supposedly taken from a dictator, or manipulations from another one.

But obviously there are as many definitions of 'Democracy" as there are peoples. And like my Algerian friend Mokhran told me in the late 80s, the peoples deserve their rulers

:(

Last edited:

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The ads you see on this website, or any website, have more to do with your internet activity than anything else.
Nope... not always the case.

(spoiler: it's you!)
Definitely not the case.... I promise you I don’t surf political sites or search for egg substitutes online.

Ad space can also be purchased just like tv spots or billboard space...

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Definitely not the case.... I promise you I don’t surf political sites or search for egg substitutes online.

Ad space can also be purchased just like tv spots or billboard space...

My understanding is that the ad is being displayed for users who have a browsing history that fits a specific profile, a profile that you apparently match.

FWIW, I read plenty of political news and have not seen any political ads on B-Nut. 🤷‍♂️ Lots Broadway ads, though!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I remember a documentary about Cambridge analytica where the Trump campaign was targeted at people that fit a non-voter/swinger profile.

@AlainK we used to have honest campaigns like that, but nowadays we're heading in the same direction of slandering, hurting the opponents and providing no good argument about your own party.

I think France will soon follow. This crosses over from the EU, where we can see the same thing happening in debates already.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just switched my Google Snitch off so I get different ads, not so targety.

Still don't get that one cuz these Fuckers know I ain't votin.

Lol.....if no one voted, they would allow the winner to win anyway!

Sorce

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The ads based on your web history etc, what you searched in google etc lol so you know.......
If you never heard about Cambridge Analytica, have a look, scary stuff....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fuck it, I'm growing steak shaped carrots this year.

Sure, I tried going vegan.
But I never tried to trick myself otherwise.

Is there a greater sign that you're not supposed to be on that diet?

How stupid.

Sorce

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I remember a documentary about Cambridge analytica where the Trump campaign was targeted at people that fit a non-voter/swinger profile.

@AlainK we used to have honest campaigns like that, but nowadays we're heading in the same direction of slandering, hurting the opponents and providing no good argument about your own party.

I think France will soon follow. This crosses over from the EU, where we can see the same thing happening in debates already.
Sorry, only read it properly now, :)

Top Bottom