Poll: Bonsai Book in Print Format or E-Book?

Print book or E-book?

• Print book, even if it costs more.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • E-book, even if it costs more.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Print book preferred, but cost a factor.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • E-book preferred, but cost a factor.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No preference; would decide by cost.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hello, all,

I'm preparing a collection of essays on bonsai, for publication. There's one question on which I've received conflicting information, and I've decided to go directly to the ones who should know.

Assume for the sake of my question that you want to buy my book (bless you!) What format would you prefer: a printed book, or an e-book, (to read on a Kindle, Nook or similar device?

Remember that it's a collection of essays; while a few of them are how-to, most are not.

Please take a moment to click the answer that best reflects what you would do. Feel free to leave additional comments, too; I'll take all the feedback I can get.

Thanks you! If you'd like to see some of my writing, feel free to visit my blog. (Link below)

Last edited:

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a very tough decision to make. I think the books that sell are bonsai art books. People will always look at pictures, and pay for a large format book. Text is different, even with pictures. I suggest some kind of electronic format for text with pictures.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of my reading is done either on a computer, e-reader, or ipad, so I'd prefer an ebook. I know a lot of people really cling to physical copies. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but I consider digital more resilient. I know I won't lose it or damage it like I might with one made of dead trees.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonsai is one subject I would lean toward hard copy for.

not that I don't read a heck of a lot about the subject online, but if Im paying I want it on my shelf, not in wait what file was that in again...?????

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have my entire 2600+ volume theological library electronically and would not have it any other way. I love print books but times, they are a changin...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can get most info online already so if I want a book...I usually want it hard copy.

The biggest advantage of e-books...they are very "compact" and searching & referencing is faster.

The biggest disadvantage of e-books...they are very "compact" and searching & referencing is faster.

(if you are wondering...yes they are the same)

Out of sight, out of mind...it is amazing how much you are encouraged to go through the same material and read something new every now and then when they are visible to you. I do get to read more by just random picking out a mag or book from my shelves....esp before going to sleep. While searching you usually stumble on something else that is good to know...so detours are not always bad.

Thanks to those shifting to electronic though...I am getting bargain books and mags!!! :D

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
book, book, book!

My kindle is b&w, and the pictures aren't great. I do my novel reading on ebooks, and computers, but I want my bonsai books to be real...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would buy both copies of all of my bonsai books if they were available.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ebooks should cost much less to produce than printing the book and is more portable. (You can even read it in the dark) It's the future people! Ebook all the way.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have to add a caveat to my post, I voted book, but cost a factor... Because if the book is $150., then I can't afford it, so if an e-book would be affordable, then I would buy it in that form.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Print. Print. Print...Nothing lasts like something that's actually physically present. I say this as a firm believer that this Internet/digitalization stuff isn't going to last:D

I HATE "E-reading." I especially hate e-reading and all manner of electronic gadgets when it comes to bonsai. I mean, fer cryin out loud, the encroaching "modern" world is what I do bonsai to get AWAY from...

Also as a practical matter, books are more durable. You can spill water or whatever on a book, drop it from worktable, get sand on it, and it still works if you dry it out, dust it off, pick it up. All these things can happen if you're reading or looking at a book (or e-book) while you're working on a tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Also as a practical matter, books are more durable. You can spill water or whatever on a book, drop it from worktable, get sand on it, and it still works if you dry it out, dust it off, pick it up. All these things can happen if you're reading or looking at a book (or e-book) while you're working on a tree.

...and they don't need to be charged:p.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The only "old fashion" books I buy are bonsai, suiseki or philosophical / theological. I like to make notes in the margins or highlight in the bound book. I also like to be able to have several books from different authors open in front of me as I study.

Everything else is online. Therefore, with your assumption your book is essays I would chose ebook.

My wife, on the other hand, will not buy any books at all. She is a huge library supporter and likes to hold the book itself.

Don't you think the choice may be age related?

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sitting on a fence...

It may sound wishy washy, but a lot depends on the type of book that I am looking at. Some of the most basic reference books for bonsai, I prefer to have a hard copy. I just recently went over to an iPad so this may change in the future but I like having my “best friends” with me when I hit the nurseries or the field.

Recently, I have been looking at some of the journal articles and publications I use for work and academic purposes online and the referencing function has been really handy so the above may change in the future.

Some of my most prized possessions as far as books go…I get in several different formats. I like the ebook for ease but I like to be able to look at the hard copy, pick it up, smell it, etc.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You'll eventually go blind if you read all your bonsai books on the computer -- and if you read it off a 7-inch e-reader . . . . or an I-pod . . . .

Glad bonsai people seem to be showing some sense about the value of paper-and-ink BOOKS.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Either or...

Also, just as a side note on the poll, I am not sure if what I am hearing is the trend or not but it seems to me that cost has very little to do with what format the individual uses/likes books in. I know that it plays a certain factor in what I buy and how, but frankly I think that formatting is more about personal preference than anything else.

Shape52

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As someone who is fairly new to bonsai I can tell you that for me a hard copy is the way to go. I am constantly seeking information. The internet is a great source and I don't mind reading from a computer screen, but when I purchase books, I always go for the hard copy. If I'm making a purchase, I want to have it without depending on a device to be able to read it. I don't want to be restricted to a battery or a power cord. I could go on but I won't. That's only my two cents.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't own a kindle but I have the program for kindle format books on my computer. The problem is, I can't print from that, it doesn't let you. Its also a desktop computer, I can't carry it to the trees to compare.

I like to carry books around to read. I like not having to worry about batteries. I can read it anywhere, anytime.

I still prefer and will always prefer a real book.

Top Bottom