Pollen cones on juniper.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Personally I suspect you'd do more damage to the foliage trying to meticulously remove each small pollen cone, at least proportionate to the energy consumed producing the cones.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Indifferent. I let a tree do its thing and consider big cone blooms as a sign of health.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Indifferent. I let a tree do its thing and consider big cone blooms as a sign of health.
I've read and heard the exact opposite! That doesn't mean either of those things is right..
Some say it's a stress survival response, some say it's a sign of vigor. I say it's annoying, because people love thinking I've pinched my junipers, while it was just the cones dropping off.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've read and heard the exact opposite! That doesn't mean either of those things is right..
Some say it's a stress survival response, some say it's a sign of vigor.
It’s probably both. From an evolutionary perspective, the best times for tree sex are:
  1. When the tree is doing extremely well and has energy to spare and, thus, can afford to allocate resources to reproductive activity without consequence for the tree’s survival.
  2. When the tree is on the verge of death and propagating the species before its impending doom is the optimal survival strategy for its kind.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It’s probably both. From an evolutionary perspective, the best times for tree sex are:
  1. When the tree is doing extremely well and has energy to spare and, thus, can afford to allocate resources to reproductive activity without consequence for the tree’s survival.
  2. When the tree is on the verge of death and propagating the species before its impending doom is the optimal survival strategy for its kind.
I agree with this. It could be either, but if you're observant you can generally tell if your juniper is struggling (sickly color/not producing much if any growth in a season). If it's adding cones on top of decent seasonal growth and has good color, it's most likely healthy and happy. If you did heavy work to a juniper, it then didn't grow or do much all season, and then pushed a major cone bloom, okay yeah, maybe it's really stressed and dying. You always gotta consider more than one indicator when assessing health.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I always love these statements for some reason. Basically it comes down to: the best time to have sex is when you're not dead, yet.
I can agree with that!

Maybe to add to the discussion: I've found that unhealthy trees tend to drop their pollen cones and their fruits. So if something is on the verge of death, a full flowering cycle might be a sign that it's getting well again.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think it can also depend on the juniper species. Nana procumbens for example, don't get cones unless they push mature foliage, and to do that they often need to be rootbound and forced to grow slower. So perhaps for them at bit of stress is required. But I have two rocky mountain junipers of the same cultivar. One I've been pampering and one I've been neglecting. The pampered one is bushy, full of cones and a healthy color. The neglected one has no cones and is shedding its older foliage for the year to balance its limited energy. I also have a Tam juniper I've been neglecting and it's only got a few tufts of cones here and there, far less than it's had in past years when it got more water and fert. Based on my experiences, I'd say cones are usually a sign of health, except in those rare 'last hurrah' cases as mentioned.

Top Bottom