Pomagranate tree losing leaves

sandymac

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi, all. This is my second dwarf pomegranate bonsai. The first one was fine for a week, then dropped all its leaves. Now the second one is losing its leaves as well. I've been keeping it inside at about 60F. I live in New England, so adequate heat and light this time of year is a problem. Put it on a heat mat? Put it in my room for my dormant plants? This is a new species for me and I welcome any advice. Thanks in advance.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Trees tend to lose their leaves in fall.
Also pomegranates don't tolerate freezing temperatures well but they are trees that need dormancy. Don't put them inside, just keep them above freezing temperatures in winter. In spring they sprout new leaves. Although they are the last to leave out in my garden.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pomegranates are deciduous plants, they need a rest period in winter
this is depends on the location where the tree is, in this case, if the tree is kept inside, and was brought inside before being subjected to any cold climate, it should keep its leaves. If it experience cold below 40, and was then brought inside with no strong light it will drop the leaves. The pomegranates in Puerto Rico don't drop their leaves, don't get a "winter rest" and thrive.

The notion that they need dormancy is not true. The go dormant only in places that the weather pushes them to.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is depends on the location where the tree is, in this case, if the tree is kept inside, and was brought inside before being subjected to any cold climate, it should keep its leaves. If it experience cold below 40, and was then brought inside with no strong light it will drop the leaves. The pomegranates in Puerto Rico don't drop their leaves, don't get a "winter rest" and thrive.

The notion that they need dormancy is not true. The go dormant only in places that the weather pushes them to.
This is not really accurate. Pomegranates are NOT tropical species, but can be grown in those zones. Pomegranates are also NOT temperate zone species, but can be grown in some zones. The amount of hardiness both ways can depend on the cultivar, but for the most part, they seem to like to have cooler winters to rest.

Don't think that's right?, argue with the University of Florida

This person is growing them in-ground in Pennsylvania, apparently.

sandymac

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks, folks. They were both shipped and probably experienced some cold weather. My dormant trees are in a temperature controlled room at38F. I'll put them there and keep an eye on them.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is not really accurate. Pomegranates are NOT tropical species, but can be grown in those zones. Pomegranates are also NOT temperate zone species, but can be grown in some zones. The amount of hardiness both ways can depend on the cultivar, but for the most part, they seem to like to have cooler winters to rest.

Don't think that's right?, argue with the University of Florida

This person is growing them in-ground in Pennsylvania, apparently.
I have seen them in ground in MD and Tennessee, Puerto Ricans are stubborn and they like their fruits without having to pay $2 ea or more in a grocery store. My friends cover them with frost blankets when they expect below freezing weather.

Pomegranates are native from the Arabs countries and was brought to America by the Spaniard Conquistadores, which is why there are plenty of them in the Caribbean.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some in the ground that went dormant nicely and saw a couple nights of -10 °C a short while ago. Spring will tell how they liked it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My poms blow 2/3 of their leaves in my winter cool rooms... Some, blow then all.
. I keep them at a high of 62dF and a low of 54dF.... RH from 45-55 percent.

I've "Angered" a Punica, mid-season and it went dormant for 5 months...

They are pretty darn resilient...

I would not be surprised if at HIGHS of 60... Yours blew their leaves.

It's normal.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I was going to comment on this, too.

POMS are NOT deciduous...

They are Semi-Deciduous... The best class!

I'm working with some more unheard of, semi-dec Acers, too!

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I left mine out until the temperature dropped into the low 20s. After I brought it in under the lights, it dropped the rest of its old leaves and restarted growth. The high temperatures in the basement are in the 60s and it's still growing, so I haven't seen the need for extra warmth.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
they are trees that need dormancy.
“Need” is too strong a word. Pomegranates may prefer a cold dormancy period, but they will get along fine without it. I have several, grown from seed, and none of them have ever spent a winter outside. They are doing fine. They may drop leaves in the fall, depending on how cold it gets outside before I bring them in, but they’ll bud out and go on their merry way growing indoors under lights. If you can give them a cold dormancy in an unheated garage, greenhouse, or cold frame, great! But, I wouldn’t sweat it if bringing them indoors is the only option available to you (as is the case for me).

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have one that's been outside with just mulch on the pot in the winter here in DC, sometimes it gets down to 10 degree at night and its been fine. Been this way for the past 5+ years or so.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a nana cultivar and it's been outside for three winters. Drops all the foliage and flushes out in spring.
-15C in a pot for a couple days, it doesn't care. Even the cuttings survived on the bench.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a nana cultivar and it's been outside for three winters. Drops all the foliage and flushes out in spring.
-15C in a pot for a couple days, it doesn't care. Even the cuttings survived on the bench.
Was that the forecast or did you actually measure that in/on the pot? Because that is cold approaching the limits of the hardiest cultivars that are known.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't remember. It might have lost some finer branches too, but they were easily replaced in the following spring.

Top Bottom