Pomagranate tree losing leaves

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have grown pomegranate, treating it as a tender tropical, for near 20 years never allowing it to receive a frost. Indoors, under lights with my orchids. It grew fine, reasonable vigor all year round.

Then I switched, left it outside to receive several frosts and freezes to maybe +27F or -4C. Then into an unheated, above freezing well house for 3 months, 32F to 40F or 0C to +4C. It always broke dormancy 6 weeks early, in late Feb or early March, our last frost date is in May. Growth in spring was more "explosive" like a vigorous maple. But because it was indoors for the first month, much of new growth suffered from low light intensity. Nothing beats full sun outdoors. So in the end, benefits of one method over the other are not real significant.

Lost the tree when it was forgotten and left out thru 10 F or -12 C and pot froze solid. Roots didn't survive. Branches tried to grow in spring, but quickly wilted and dried. Sure sign roots had died.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown pomegranate, treating it as a tender tropical, for near 20 years never allowing it to receive a frost. Indoors, under lights with my orchids. It grew fine, reasonable vigor all year round.

Then I switched, left it outside to receive several frosts and freezes to maybe +27F or -4C. Then into an unheated, above freezing well house for 3 months, 32F to 40F or 0C to +4C. It always broke dormancy 6 weeks early, in late Feb or early March, our last frost date is in May. Growth in spring was more "explosive" like a vigorous maple. But because it was indoors for the first month, much of new growth suffered from low light intensity. Nothing beats full sun outdoors. So in the end, benefits of one method over the other are not real significant.

Lost the tree when it was forgotten and left out thru 10 F or -12 C and pot froze solid. Roots didn't survive. Branches tried to grow in spring, but quickly wilted and dried. Sure sign roots had died.
I wish I could find pomegranates root kill temp, its not in Bonsai Heresy with the others unfortunately.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I wish I could find pomegranates root kill temp, its not in Bonsai Heresy with the others unfortunately.

I can tell you, root kill is warmer than -12 C.

Seriously, pomegranate is a Mediterranean tree, i would expect limited freeze tolerance. For the amount of time and work we put into our Bonsai, it is best to avoid "pushing the limits". It was irresponsible of me to be casual about my pomegranate's ability to survive a freeze. I lost 40 years of time and effort by neglecting to bring the tree into protection. Best to bring trees into protection with a safety margin. Use published root kill temps as a guide, add a safety buffer amout and protect your trees well before the published limits.

Top Bottom