Pomegranate Domancy help

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all.
So I bought a new pomegranate last summer. Pretty healthy, full of leaves. It's potted in shohin akadama.
I've stored it in an unheated room over winter (doesn't get that cold here is it was even more mild than usual). Theeaves dropped naturally in autumn and all looked fine.
We are now mid may and the buds have t even moved. They is still green under the bark. Any ideas on encouraging it to wake up? It smells musty round the pot but doesn't smell like root rot.
Cheers

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i have a thread somewhere on a twin trunk one. first season after repotting one of the trunks didnt bud out.
the one trunk survived, thrived even. so last summer i planted it in the ground and it stayed there all winter! its doing fine. i think they get root rot quite easily though and maybe thats the reason the main trunk died off, it was being kept in garden compost by previous owner.

they leaf out a little late, taking as long as beech, zelkova or oak. but yours is very late

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
i have a thread somewhere on a twin trunk one. first season after repotting one of the trunks didnt bud out.
the one trunk survived, thrived even. so last summer i planted it in the ground and it stayed there all winter! its doing fine. i think they get root rot quite easily though and maybe thats the reason the main trunk died off, it was being kept in garden compost by previous owner.

they leaf out a little late, taking as long as beech, zelkova or oak. but yours is very late
Thanks Bobby, I am keeping an eye on your eBay for more trees ;)
To be honest I'm thinking it's likely not gonna happen with this tree which is a shame as I'm fond of it. It's under a grow light, only thing I could think to activate the buds. Tempted to sling it in some better bonsai soil mix and not work the roots. Unlikely to make a difference but might dry some of it out of the roots are sodden.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby, I am keeping an eye on your eBay for more trees ;)
To be honest I'm thinking it's likely not gonna happen with this tree which is a shame as I'm fond of it. It's under a grow light, only thing I could think to activate the buds. Tempted to sling it in some better bonsai soil mix and not work the roots. Unlikely to make a difference but might dry some of it out of the roots are sodden.

we've had great weather lately so i would just leave it outside in full sun. they are used to be being in hot, dry climates i think kaizen num 3 is a good mix for them if i were to dig mine up i would opt for that kind of a mix.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cheers.
You think pond basket to help it recover or just leave it be? Not a fan or pure akadama with our weather

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cheers.
You think pond basket to help it recover or just leave it be? Not a fan or pure akadama with our weather

i cant see whats its in.
if its not budding out then the roots might be staying too wet from you feeding and watering it to get it going again. so i would just leave the soil on the dryer to moist side.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've lifted it and very gently removed the old soil which was like mush. It doesn't smell right, kinda ammonia smell which is new to me.
It's in a pond basket under grow light to try and activate some of the buds. It will stay dry for 24 hours before watering and I'll keep it on the dry side.
Soon as the weather clears up it will be in full sun for a while.
Fingers crossed!

20200510_183333.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found pommeganate to be almost indestructible. Mine has been outdoors for the past 4 years.
Cuttings can still root after a year of being dormant. So I wouldn't give up too fast.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chuck the whole thing in a transparant plastic bag and chuck it in morning sun so it gets nice warm and humid in the air but does not get cooked. That should trigger it.
I had one that took till mid-summer to wake up last year.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Chuck the whole thing in a transparant plastic bag and chuck it in morning sun so it gets nice warm and humid in the air but does not get cooked. That should trigger it.
I had one that took till mid-summer to wake up last year.

thank you, this gives me some hope. i'll give it a steam over the next few days too

Top Bottom