Pomegranate forest

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have some pomegranate cuttings that I was successful growing roots(11 out of12!). I was thinking of doing a forest in the future with them but it seems they aren’t used for forests. I have found one video and no pictures. Is there are reason that it seems no one uses pomegranate for a forest? Thanks

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Prove them wrong :) I'm only half joking, because every time I say something can't be done... someone comes along and does it.

Generally speaking pomegranate is difficult bonsai material unless you are fortunate enough to get a big chunky specimen with a lot of gnarly character. It doesn't lend itself well to an upright formal or informal style that is needed for a believable forest planting.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you for the reply Greg. Now I know and I can plan accordingly. At this stage I have lots of options.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Any update on your Pomegranate forest? I recently did a trunk chop on mine and have also ended up with a plethora of cuttings.

I have a design idea but am still looking around for inspiration specifically on how to position and style the cuttings to look as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Pom growth patterns can be quite gnarly and I can picture them making a very spooky or old looking clump.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I didn’t get to making the forest. It is very hard to find information about pomegranate forest. They definitely aren’t popular at the time I was looking for inspiration. I am going to grow out my cuttings to a better feel about how they will look.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I respectfully suggest that trees in a forest setting do not grow very fast and that makes assembling a forest before the trees are approximately finished size a bad idea. At the same time, I'd suggest that trees intentionally grown for a future forest can be grown in a compact & tall configuration that makes a better fitting group.

Top Bottom