Pomegranate issues? Infestation?

redrose_45

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve been growing these pomegranate bushes/trees from a seed and plan to make them a bonsai eventually.

They just don’t seem as healthy as they should be as more leaves are dying than I think is normal, there is sometimes a red spotting and I’ve just noticed some small bugs today. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I’m not sure what these little insects are either.

Attachments

• 660A275D-5CD3-44EA-BCB3-8D8C3AF3EDA6.jpeg
    660A275D-5CD3-44EA-BCB3-8D8C3AF3EDA6.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 22D32528-8026-4917-AC1B-7137693E6D42.jpeg
    22D32528-8026-4917-AC1B-7137693E6D42.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 72A31C65-CD90-460F-AA16-7EF508562D83.jpeg
    72A31C65-CD90-460F-AA16-7EF508562D83.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 35

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your first thread prompted something else out of me. Welcome to Crazy!

Doesn't look too bad. Though unless you took that bug pic while watering, you may have a bit of a soil issue, seems to be pooling a bit much.

It may be time to seperate them.

Sorce

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are collembola, officially not an insect. They're completely harmless and eat fungus and algae.
What does cause or growth is impossible to say without more info.

redrose_45

Seedling
Reaction score
I
Your first thread prompted something else out of me. Welcome to Crazy!

Doesn't look too bad. Though unless you took that bug pic while watering, you may have a bit of a soil issue, seems to be pooling a bit much.

It may be time to seperate them.

Sorce
Thank you ahahaha

I did take that while watering so it’s okay in that sense:) and I actually plan on tying them together to make one tree which is why I’ve put them in a rough circle like this.

redrose_45

Seedling
Reaction score
Those are collembola, officially not an insect. They're completely harmless and eat fungus and algae.
What does cause or growth is impossible to say without more info.
I appreciate the identification of them!

What addition info would you need?

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located (for climate)? How do you fertilize/ water, what kind of soil do you use? Is it outside? in full sun?
Those kinds of things.

redrose_45

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are you located (for climate)? How do you fertilize/ water, what kind of soil do you use? Is it outside? in full sun?
Those kinds of things.
Located in the south of the UK (USDA zone 9 i believe), it gets full sun, they live outside except when there is/will be too much rain/very harsh winds (sadly had the tip of a shoot snap due to this), then they sit near my patio door windows. I used some miracle grow general purpose fertiliser balls at the start of spring and haven't added any other fertiliser since. The soil is made from general purpose compost, small pebbles and a bit of clay rich soil. They've never had this issue before so i'm curious as to what's changed. I water them when the top 1-2cm of soil gets dry. I've found if I water them any more than this, they get somewhat limp. The water I use is from the tap and rather hard so i'm not sure if this is an issue that's built up over time? They've had 2 infestations this year from aphids already which has set them back and this has developed and it doesn't seem in the best of health now.

Top Bottom