Pomegranate problems

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So ya’ll are growing your pomegranate inside ? Anyone keep in garage during winter?
The pomegranate has been outside all summer long and still is outside. Looking for a good approach… have read indoors and winter protection in garage work.
Not too confident to keep outside ,likely keeping it w the persimmon in basement or garage over winter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So ya’ll are growing your pomegranate inside ? Anyone keep in garage during winter?
The pomegranate has been outside all summer long and still is outside. Looking for a good approach… have read indoors and winter protection in garage work.
Not too confident to keep outside ,likely keeping it w the persimmon in basement or garage over winter.

This year I was planning to because while I will have a solid overwintering setup, I figured I might as well not test it on the one that can take being inside. After this I will likely overwinter it up against the wall of an unheated connected garage and mulch the base. I don't know how cold it actually will get yet, but I know the others can take it.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I kept mine inside under lights last year. It bloomed on and off all winter.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting you say that - I was just scanning through old threads looking for info and saw this. I wonder if you have any tidbits based on the below:

I had planned on keeping mine as a tropical as it has been previously by the place I got it, to my knowledge, but have been running into yellowing and leaf drop which I attributed to lack of light. It was in a window, but not a very sunny one, for maybe a week. It also flat out seems to have mostly stopped going through water this week. I got it out of the tray I had it on to catch excess moisture that is there for when I do water it (which I haven't done for days now) and it's under T8 lights now.

I took the Biogold and Hanasaku I was using to feed it off of it thinking maybe it was better to let it sit without outside interference for awhile.

Do you think I'm on the right path with my approach?
Hmm it seems they love sunlight, so I think it's fair to attribute leaf drop to both the change of location and the lack of proper sunlight.
Windows filter up to 60% of usable light even though they look perfectly transparent to us. This would affect the entire tree, but the apical tips the last.

Could also be season related, as we're approaching winter right now: growth has stopped on mine since august, and it's been changing color ever since. This would affecr the entire tree at the same time, outside to inside.

It could also just be too wet. They love water, but they also seem to like dry periods. If the soil is constantly wet, I'd expect a pattern of yellowing starting from the bottom and going upwards to the apex in a matter of weeks.

Check if you can remember what kind of pattern you see/saw. It can help you find a probable cause.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmm it seems they love sunlight, so I think it's fair to attribute leaf drop to both the change of location and the lack of proper sunlight.
Windows filter up to 60% of usable light even though they look perfectly transparent to us. This would affect the entire tree, but the apical tips the last.

Could also be season related, as we're approaching winter right now: growth has stopped on mine since august, and it's been changing color ever since. This would affecr the entire tree at the same time, outside to inside.

It could also just be too wet. They love water, but they also seem to like dry periods. If the soil is constantly wet, I'd expect a pattern of yellowing starting from the bottom and going upwards to the apex in a matter of weeks.

Check if you can remember what kind of pattern you see/saw. It can help you find a probable cause.

thanks! That’s very helpful, I’ll keep my eyes peeled. I was wondering about the seasonality aspect and whether it had perhaps begun to go into dormancy, but I didn’t think they dropped their leaves if brought inside.

I suspect it will be ok!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They are designed to tolerate, shady winters... I personally bring mine indoors.. my rooms can handle that... i have a friend who unheated greenhouse winters them.. they go dormant and wake up.. three years now he’s done this.

Top Bottom