Pomegranate winterizing dormant help

Bloodwar

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for some information on how to go about winterizing my pomegranate, and dwarf pomegranate.im in zone 5 Illinois.from what i understand zone 5 is way to cold for pomegranate.Ive got a indoor grow tent that i grow tropicals in, ficus ext ,i know pomegranate need a dormancy period like most trees. so do they need cold and less light to go ino dormancy or can they be tricked into dormancy indoors under grow lights,by just giving it less hours of light with out the cold environment,if any one has any advise or delt with similar situation id really appreciate the help.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I winter mine over in my garage, it gets below freezing on those very cold spells, but it's protected from severe cold and wind, seems to do just fine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I live in IL also. I have two dwarf pomegranates that I bring in under the lights, once it gets cold. This is the 2nd winter I have done that and they show no ill effects.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in-between Chicago and Milwaukee. I leave my pomegranates out to get a light frost. They can be damaged by the pots freezing below +25 or somewhere near +25 F. Frost usually defoliates the tree.

Currently I winter pomegranates in a well house, it stays below 40 and above freezing. They have no problem riding the winter out until May in the dark well house. I have also let them get a frost, then wintered them in the under lights set up I use for my orchids. They will grow under lights, but it will tend to be spindly. I cut off most of the winter growth in early summer, then keep the more robust summer growth. I have had a pomegranate or two in my collection for over 30 years, the pomegranates are very forgiving of mistakes.

Top Bottom