Pomegranate

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm glad I changed the soil as it was a very unfitting situation for pomegranate roots. Perhaps it's why it did not grow strong and lost branches. At collection of trees, I wash all the mud and clay out.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi TP,
What is your purpose to keep these branches coming out from the trunk base? Thanks
Thụ Thoại

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@bonhe Initially the tree was weak, so no cuts were done. I wanted it to grow and get strong. Also, I'm a fan of multi trunk deciduous. Another reason, I'm still trying to learn more about pomegranate. This will a long development process, I believe. Thank you for taking a look!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bonhe Initially the tree was weak, so no cuts were done. I wanted it to grow and get strong. Also, I'm a fan of multi trunk deciduous. Another reason, I'm still trying to learn more about pomegranate. This will a long development process, I believe. Thank you for taking a look!
Thanks for responding.
In my experience, pomegranate has “ basal dominance “ which is opposite of “ apical dominance “ which happens in conifers. The suckers causes the weakness of the higher branches of the main trunk. If you keep these suckers, it will gradually weakens the branches of main trunk. If I was you, I would remove all the suckers and grow the main trunk into the well ramification form before I let the suckers grow under control into the other trunks . It is almost similar to how to balance energy of the pine growth.
In my opinion, because this tree has twisted trunk, I can not appreciate the beauty of the trunk if the tree has multiple trunks.
Thụ Thoại

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for responding.
In my experience, pomegranate has “ basal dominance “ which is opposite of “ apical dominance “ which happens in conifers. The suckers causes the weakness of the higher branches of the main trunk. If you keep these suckers, it will gradually weakens the branches of main trunk. If I was you, I would remove all the suckers and grow the main trunk into the well ramification form before I let the suckers grow under control into the other trunks . It is almost similar to how to balance energy of the pine growth.
In my opinion, because this tree has twisted trunk, I can not appreciate the beauty of the trunk if the tree has multiple trunks.
Thụ Thoại
Thank you for the insight! What direction should I take this tree? I like the twist, but there's hardly any movement. Should I airlayer and make two trees?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you, @bonhe Have you thread grafted pomegranate? I would like to grow cuttings and thread graft for branches.

This year I hope to see a stronger tree so that I can start work next year without too much worry.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for asking. If this tree was mine, I would keep 2 trunks
View attachment 282820
Thụ Thoại
I tend to agree, bonhe. But as it is, if you cut those two at the same height you end up with a slingshot. I think if one is kept as lower trunk this could solve that problem. I think the right hand one would be the dominant side since the movement kind of goes that way. Thoughts?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, @bonhe Have you thread grafted pomegranate? I would like to grow cuttings and thread graft for branches.

This year I hope to see a stronger tree so that I can start work next year without too much worry.
No, I haven’t. I never did any graft to get the branch needed in place ! I just try to work around of whatever branches I have for the tree’s image! I don’t know why, but it is my way to train the tree 😊. You can try to do graft on pomegranate and I believe it will be taken well.
Did you just use 100% pumice on this tree ?
Thanks
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to agree, bonhe. But as it is, if you cut those two at the same height you end up with a slingshot. I think if one is kept as lower trunk this could solve that problem. I think the right hand one would be the dominant side since the movement kind of goes that way. Thoughts?
Thanks. Yes, you are absolutely correct. When I did sketch, I did not pay attention to the high level of 2 trunks 😊
Thụ Thoại

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No, I haven’t. I never did any graft to get the branch needed in place ! I just try to work around of whatever branches I have for the tree’s image! I don’t know why, but it is my way to train the tree 😊. You can try to do graft on pomegranate and I believe it will be taken well.
Did you just use 100% pumice on this tree ?
Thanks
Thụ Thoại
I did not have a lot of pumice so I used diatomaceous earth with a layer of coarse pumice and scoria below.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not have a lot of pumice so I used diatomaceous earth with a layer of coarse pumice and scoria below.
Thanks. Very interesting about soil content. It means 100% inorganic!
i have used inorganic : organic with ratio 1:1for cutting and 2:3 or 1:2 for other pomegranate. I use these because my area is really hot and dry in the summer
Thụ Thoại

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks. Very interesting about soil content. It means 100% inorganic!
i have used inorganic : organic with ratio 1:1for cutting and 2:3 or 1:2 for other pomegranate. I use these because my area is really hot and dry in the summer
Thụ Thoại
We dont have killer humidity like Houston, but we do have significant amount. People from Odessa, Texas say ours is so bad. I tell them to visit Houston.

Top Bottom