Pomigranite

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Why is it that I can grow Pomigranit seeds untill they grow there first true leaves and then the leaves go brown or they shrivel and die (the seeds come from pomigranit fruits)
I have tried many times to get them past this stage but have never been sucsesfull they are not overwaterd I water just when the soil gets dry from the top and have tried from the bottom with the same results placing the pot in a saucer untill the soil comes damp the compost used is sand and peat mixture its not the cold they grow on a windowsill facing south in a centraly heated room abt 20degC its winter here in the uk I would apreciate any help or advice

Baz
central England Z8

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Baz,

On a lark, I tried some fresh seeds as well. I got spotty germination. Several failed after being moved from the germination flat to their first pots. I have one that looks promising (third set of leaves) it is potted in my free draining mix. Perhaps the compost/sand mix you describe is the problem. Next time try in a coarser soil.

Norm

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
pomigranit

ok my friend thats about all I have not done i will see what hapens

Barry
England Z8 Bonsai and Cacti

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Baz:

My guess is the first new growth is attacked quickly by a fungal disease and the little seedling can not survive. It could be a number of reasons; the soil mixture, the location where the seed tray is placed, etc. You may want to try using a completely sterile soil mixture; perlite, vermiculite. Do some research on this. Also...consider spraying with a weak fungicide. You may also want to try a small fan blowing across the seed flat; air circulation is important as well.

If the little seedling looks strong and then quickly withers; turning a pale green - you can almost be sure this is a fungus. The same fungus attacks new cuttings as well.

You'll have to experiment and put together the optimium conditions for success. Take heart - this is not easy. Brent Walston from Evergreen Gardenworks in California, no longer grows Prunus Mume from cuttings because of the years of battling fungal problems with his Prunus cuttings. Check out his website for useful information on growing techniques. I hope this helps you out....

Tom

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I grew pom cuttings this spring. All came up and I had no problems with germination, but they have basically stopped growing after about 2 months and are only about 2 inches high. They are yellowing a little bit and just not looking very good, even though they have fantastic root systems from planting them in all bark. Wonder what's going on?

Top Bottom