Poncirus trifoliata or Flying Dragon for Bonsai?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice trunk on that one. I can't believe you actually got it wired. I bought 2 small ones last winter and they at least tripled their size. I dont see me trying to bonsai one but I love them just the same.

Nah, i bought it already wired. Its clip and grow from here on out!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are hard to work with even other than the problems of vicious thorns. They do not like wiring, and they are brittle, too. The branches should be wired only when green which is before two years old. That said, sooner or later someone will make a presentable one. Here's one in process.
PFD1 20170815_145454.jpg

RobertM

Seed
Reaction score
I grew up on a farm where the 'Hardy Orange'/Poncirus trifoliata was thoroughly assimilated as a native tree. They were everywhere, and locals used the mature examples as fence-post material -- absolutely indestructible. And dangerous. These look like well cared for, grown-and-clipped grade variety trifoliata examples, not like the 'contorta' variety. Just like what I've seen since childhood in the 1950s.

I've started working on several small ones for development as possible bonsai -- quite carefully, with gloves at all times. Unfortunately, I didn't take enough care with most of them this unusually cold Alabama winter, so I have only one that appears to have survived. The things are normally hardy way below what we experience, but not when they're in pots and left exposed. (The survivor was protected.)

Great! Another trip to the farm for harvesting poncirus/citrus trifoliata and a batch of wisteria stumps. All I have to do now is wait until next dormant season.

Patience, patience, patience I'm working on -- location, location, location is a given.

JC
How cold can it get before it starts affecting them?

JonOslo

Seedling
Reaction score
I think the Flying Dragon is a fun plant to have in a pot. I'd be surprised to ever see one in a bonsai show, but that isn't the criteria by which I enjoy this hobby. Mine has already completed its nice show of small white blossoms for this year and is growing vigorously.
Beautiful! What potting mix do you use for the Flying Dragon?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm going to try one as a bonsai. It started as a rootstock for a Brown Select Satsuma. The tree was 5 years old and plagued by bugs, diseases and this year a major die-off from freezing temps. This spring I cut it down to the ground in disgust. I've since noticed several shoots emerging. I just went out and weeded around it and flagged it for collection in the spring. It's going to be a chunky one.......the stump is 4" in diameter and 3" high...........a sumo for sure.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The normal form of Poncirus (Citrus) trifoliata is often used as grafting understock for commercial culinary citrus. It makes great bonsai, I hope @Joe Dupre' posts images of his when he digs it up.

Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon' is a specific cultivar of the trifoliate citrus. This cultivar is noted for its contorted growth habit, branches will bend and twist in the length of their internodes. Spirals and U-turns are common. It also tends to drop leafs more than the nominal form, depending on the green branches for photosynthesis. Makes for a bizarre thorny shrub, often planted as a barrier, much the way barberry has been used for fence rows.

Both forms make decent bonsai with time. The fragrant flowers in spring and the occasional fruit are nice bonus features.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm going to try one as a bonsai. It started as a rootstock for a Brown Select Satsuma. The tree was 5 years old and plagued by bugs, diseases and this year a major die-off from freezing temps. This spring I cut it down to the ground in disgust. I've since noticed several shoots emerging. I just went out and weeded around it and flagged it for collection in the spring. It's going to be a chunky one.......the stump is 4" in diameter and 3" high...........a sumo for sure.
I did a bit of investigating on the Satsuma rootstock. It's getting MUCH more interesting as I look. I exposed more of the nebari and it just got better. Probably 5" diameter or better at the eventual soil level. It seems to have quite a bit of energy. We'll see in spring.

unnamed (8).jpg

Top Bottom