Pond Basket???

Dan_Davis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm new to Bonsai and here as well. I tried some bonsai a few years ago but didn't do so well. Apparently
I purchased plant that were probably dead already back then. So I'm gonna give it a try again. But My question
is what is the benefit of the pond baskets???? Do you float/set the plant in a bucket of water???

Last edited:
Reaction score
The idea is that as the roots elongate and reach the side of the basket they encounter open air and stop growing and "back bud" creating a more dense roots system closer to the base of the tree. Normally the roots will encircle the pot.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Dan, it's great to see some fresh faces from Florida here.

Deep subject, or better put it's big subject of debate here. I will provide you with some links to review but a simple answer is that you use the pond baskets as the grow out pot for your trees with typical soil. The basket gives you better drainage and increased oxygen to the roots. No need to set in water. You will need to water more often however as they drain very well.

Here and here are a couple to get you started. The search function in the menu bar above will be of much help. Click on search and enter pond baskets and be prepared for the results.

Once again welcome to BonsaiNut.

Dan_Davis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Woa, Thanks alot folks... I've got some reading to do...... By the way, I'm really slow here at work, so the boss dosen't mind me goofin off while I wait for something to come in to work on.. How are the rest of you getting away with this??????? LOL

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dan, that button that minimizes the screen is very useful when your at work or so I'm told.

Mooseman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the opposite problem. I usually work at home and have to tear myself away to do some work once in a while. Luckily I share a flat panel between my work and home computers so I can switch between with two clicks of the keyboard.

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Haha, the joys of not having a job :) since i'm only 16 and haven't gotten round to getting a job yet, mostly cause a lot of places only hire at 18, i have plenty of time to browse this site... though school and homework keep me busy along with sports etc. etc. etc. but i find time :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Woa, Thanks alot folks... I've got some reading to do...... By the way, I'm really slow here at work, so the boss dosen't mind me goofin off while I wait for something to come in to work on.. How are the rest of you getting away with this??????? LOL

I get paid to sit on my ass and look pretty...... Ok not really... but I'ma software engineer (programmer whateva you wanna call it) so I have a certain amount of screw around time per day... or so i like to think...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Who you callin a hugger:D

Dan did you ever see the little note at the bottom of checks, and punch card forms that say "Do not Fold, Bend, Spindle , or Mutilate"? You should see what Ive done to some poor little ole trees.;)

Besides, I just work a bit harded to make up for time better spent.;) Don't take all those breaks either.

Imholte, Graydon, and Will gave you good info re. your pond basket question.

Top Bottom