Pond baskets/colanders to be used on tropicals. Yes or no?

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After reading countless threads on colanders, pond baskets, air pots, and grow bags; I'm sure we can all agree that colanders/pond baskets are the most effective and cost the least.

Now my question is, can this method be used on every species? I'm assuming not, because of its ability to dry soil out very quickly, but do we rule out all tropicals as a whole, or just certain species? I think a dwarf jade would grow lovely in a pond basket, and I'm going give it a try after some discussion here. What about an umbrella tree (schefflera), dwarf black olive (bucida spinosa), or a ficus? These trees love moisture, and hate to have dry soil.

On another note, I have 2 young dawn redwoods. It isn't a tropical, but it thrives in moist soil, and can quickly die if soil dries out.

What do you guys think?

-Nick

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are at this stage.....

Whatever it is....

Of needing many fine feeders....(pot)
Or many root tips....(for the ground?)

Anything is ok as long as you water it right. Inside or out.

I thought mine were gonna burn up and dry out....far from it.
Search my thread...."root talk".

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bk,

ficus, hmm, not water lovers on my side - Tropics.
Benjimina, Retusa and local types.
If you had the space, do a test - for Ficus use simple clay pot and use expendables.
Usually we go no deeper than 6" internal of the pot, full sun and some breeze.
Good Luck, keep notes.
Good Day
Anthony

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just started experimenting with the fabric grow bags, they are actually cheaper than colander and will last longer outdoors. Another plus they have is insulation, when it's hot out they jeep the root zone cool and when it's cold it keeps the roots warmer. Also I've noticed they are much less messy to water my tropicals in the greenhouse then with colanders. I think I'll like them.

Aaron20160127_141631.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your sticking a stick in a colander, your gonna end up with a stick in a colander with a condensed rootball and a bunch of twigs all over the place.
Already got a trunk? Colander would work pretty good...of course at that point, why not put it into a pot?
Wanna grow a trunk? Put your stick in a nursery container with a bunch of holes on the bottom and throw it in the yard.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Certainly, using a colander would probably lead to more root division. But don't forget, often times, growth beneath the surface is mirrored up top.
If your looking to build trunk, throwing it into a colander then onto your bench wont work. You need lush growth to build trunk.:D

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about a colander/mesh pot on top of a larger conventional pot? Let some roots escape at the bottom and grow into the larger container, then cut'em off at repot time?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about a colander/mesh pot on top of a larger conventional pot? Let some roots escape at the bottom and grow into the larger container, then cut'em off at repot time?

I guess. But if you want to use that soil in the second container, you'll need to sift out the roots. Just throw it on the ground.
Look through Frary's post's with his collected material. I think that's where a colander works the best.
Went and got some trunks, now time to build some branches. At this point, you want better control over growth.
Colander will slow done the growth a bit, become a little finer....so I've committed no sacrilege, at least as far as Frary's application goes.:cool:

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm thinking about indoor only growing, without access to ground or outside.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I just started experimenting with the fabric grow bags, they are actually cheaper than colander and will last longer outdoors. Another plus they have is insulation, when it's hot out they jeep the root zone cool and when it's cold it keeps the roots warmer. Also I've noticed they are much less messy to water my tropicals in the greenhouse then with colanders. I think I'll like them.

AaronView attachment 93135

The probem with the grow bags is that they sit flat on whatever surface you put them on. This causes a lot pooling water and a mat of roots will form on the bottom.

I'm doing an experiment with fabric pots placed of wire shelving to see if it improves the air pruning of the bottom.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

AaronView attachment 93135

I've tried these for a few seasons, and they do seem to have the benefits you described. I have a couple of minor complaints about them.

1. I usually need to cut them down to a shallower version. Other wise, with a small amount of soil in the bag, the lower parts of the tree are shaded by the sides. The plus side of them is that they're easier to cut down than plastic nursery pots.
2. The soft sides make them more difficult to move when using for heavier trees. Some come with handles, but then, see #1 - they usually don't stay.
3. The outsides often grow a layer of moss/algae. Since they are more difficult to move, the moss/algae usually ends up on my shirt or pants.

Brian

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tropicals? Sorry, I should know better. Your in Toronto! And probably cold like me!!
Sounds like you have some experiments in your future!! I love those!!:eek::D

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look through Frary's post's with his collected material. I think that's where a colander works the best.
Went and got some trunks, now time to build some branches. At this point, you want better control over growth
You got it Lance.
The roots or lack of on collected trees scream colander time.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I've tried these for a few seasons, and they do seem to have the benefits you described. I have a couple of minor complaints about them.

1. I usually need to cut them down to a shallower version. Other wise, with a small amount of soil in the bag, the lower parts of the tree are shaded by the sides. The plus side of them is that they're easier to cut down than plastic nursery pots.
2. The soft sides make them more difficult to move when using for heavier trees. Some come with handles, but then, see #1 - they usually don't stay.
3. The outsides often grow a layer of moss/algae. Since they are more difficult to move, the moss/algae usually ends up on my shirt or pants.

Brian

The biggest disadvantage of the bags is the lack of any way to secure a tree into them. Colanders and pond baskets are sturdy enough to wire or tie a tree into.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i mean, i just don't think those things will benefit tropicals. ficus roots grow in air. this was like 5ft long.

tumblr_nprlnzONhJ1rn41eao3_1280.jpg

Top Bottom