pond baskets

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not sure if this will make for good conversation or debate but what are pros and cons to using pond baskets and/or pots with holes all over. I found some cool little pots at the dollar store that look like pond baskets to me. They are about the same size and shape as a regular one gallon nursery container but they have slots all over like a pond basket does. Doesn't the water just run right out of the sides? I guess you would get really good drainage! But does the water reach all the roots sufficiently enough? Are they mainly used for newly collected plants and conifers? Just your thoughts as I have found these pots and would like to know the benefits, if any, of using them. Thanks! -ben

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wouldn't mind hearing vances thoughts on this one! I just built a grow box over the weekend, fairly similar to his redwood grow boxes. All screened sides and bottom. I made it out of an old wine crate. Anyways, I hope to hear back from you, vance and everyone else on b nut who uses pond baskets and what they use them for.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It sounds like an orchid pot. Usually orchid growers put hydroton clay balls, sphagnum moss, or bark chunks in as the growing medium. I think I would prefer something more short and wide than something tall and small in diameter. That way you don't have roots growing down as strongly as the roots growing sideways.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It sounds like an orchid pot. Usually orchid growers put hydroton clay balls, sphagnum moss, or bark chunks in as the growing medium. I think I would prefer something more short and wide than something tall and small in diameter. That way you don't have roots growing down as strongly as the roots growing sideways.
That makes total sense.. most pond baskets are wide and shallow. These pots taper downward about 10 inches tall.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The benefit of these types of pots/ pond baskets is that the roots naturally "air prune" when they get to the edge instead of just turning and wrapping around and around the pot as it would with a normal ceramic or plastic container. This gives you a compact, fine root system which is desirable for bonsai, and cuts down on the stress when you repot the tree to a small bonsai tray.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The benefit of these types of pots/ pond baskets is that the roots naturally "air prune" when they get to the edge instead of just turning and wrapping around and around the pot as it would with a normal ceramic or plastic container. This gives you a compact, fine root system which is desirable for bonsai, and cuts down on the stress when you repot the tree to a small bonsai tray.
As in when the roots start growing toward/out of the holes they die off, creating ramification naturally?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
look for Smoke's write ups on using colanders.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, while browsing the depot today I ran across these pond baskets that were not there in fall. Called 10x10x5, the total height is actually 6. The top is 10x10.inches. 20150301_192056.jpg

At just under $3, I picked up 2.
I might go get 6 more or so, cut em down and use them for trees.

Sorce

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, while browsing the depot today I ran across these pond baskets that were not there in fall. Called 10x10x5, the total height is actually 6. The top is 10x10.inches. View attachment 68438

At just under $3, I picked up 2.
I might go get 6 more or so, cut em down and use them for trees.

Sorce
Nice find! Id love to. have those for a couple redwoods I got planned for repotting!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What you get with pond baskets and/or colanders is a fine, dense, ramified root system that's not compacted. And the top growth echoes that, with dense, ramified, healthy growth. There is a thread on here somewhere showing a side-by-side comparison between pot growing and basket growing of pines.

The down side: requires more water, but being in the Southeast, probably not much more water. And you have to (can) fertilize more, which cost more $ but is clearly more beneficial for your plant. Although, you can use chemical ferts.

You have to use an open soil, otherwise you defeat the purpose. Pumice, scoria and . . (gasp) Turface work terrifically.

Last edited:

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sorce. I have had two JBP seedlings in those Home Depot pond baskets for a year and I like them. Wide enough to work well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, don't cut them down, without the lip, they aren't very strong. You don't need to fill it up to the top.

I would reinforce the top of the bottoms, and the bottoms of the tops and use both. 2 for 1 yes?
:)
Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wouldn't mind hearing vances thoughts on this one! I just built a grow box over the weekend, fairly similar to his redwood grow boxes. All screened sides and bottom. I made it out of an old wine crate. Anyways, I hope to hear back from you, vance and everyone else on b nut who uses pond baskets and what they use them for.

You get great drainage and ariation. The best point is that your tree cannot produce usless fat thick roots that are no longer producing feeder roots. The only heavy and woody roots that will grow are those that you allow to grow on the surface. All you need to do is use these things for a couple of years and you will no longer consider a regular pot as adequate. The problem woith Pond baskets and colanders is that most of them do not hold up very well much more than two years. I have used my boxes for as long as ten years.

Top Bottom