pond baskets

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've designed a bonsai pot with air pruning holes. My idea is that if holes create healthier roots, then why not keep out trees in such pots all the time. So I designed something that looks more like a traditional bonsai pot. I know it's expensive for 60 euros, but it's really just an idea and 3D modelling project. The holes are tapered on the inside to prevent root circling and guide the roots into the holes.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LVS8KGMJB/bonsai-pot-with-air-pruning-base-and-sides

Zentex

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You get great drainage and ariation. The best point is that your tree cannot produce usless fat thick roots that are no longer producing feeder roots. The only heavy and woody roots that will grow are those that you allow to grow on the surface. All you need to do is use these things for a couple of years and you will no longer consider a regular pot as adequate. The problem woith Pond baskets and colanders is that most of them do not hold up very well much more than two years. I have used my boxes for as long as ten years.
How big are your home made boxes, Van?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How big are your home made boxes, Van?
My boxes are as big as I want them to be or as small. I have found it necessary to reenforce the bottoms on the larger containers, 5 gal and better, or everything can fall out of the bottom.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cons: More plastic in landfill/environment, dries out fast in hot weather, light wt/small base tips over easy, is favored by impatient hurry hurry "growers":rolleyes:.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Cons: More plastic in landfill/environment, dries out fast in hot weather, light wt/small base tips over easy, is favored by impatient hurry hurry "growers":rolleyes:.

Well we could always wait the hundreds of years it takes nature to craft one of these trees we covet for bonsai. As to the land fill argument??? Most of these things are pretty much degraded by UV exposure and will crumble into dust in about ten years. As to drying out fast in hot weather? That has not been my experience, they may dry out a bit faster than a regular pot but the pros far out weigh the cons on this issue. A regular pot can bake the roots in the same climate. If you have not tried the practice you should probably not pillory it.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whaaaa? What's with the hate? So people have found a method of growing that is faster than growing in a traditional pot and more controlled than growing in the ground. Is this cheating? I love pond baskets and colanders. Guess I'm impatient.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I've never really found watering a problem. You just need to understand the needs of your trees. I recommend you get one of those extendible water wands to make it easier to water from that high horse of yours.

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Whaaaa? What's with the hate? So people have found a method of growing that is faster than growing in a traditional pot and more controlled than growing in the ground. Is this cheating? I love pond baskets and colanders. Guess I'm impatient.
If you notice 3/4 of his comments are negative. I love pond baskets too! It’s not cheating just because it’s effective!

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
"But does the water reach all the roots sufficiently enough?"

I think this is why it is important to use an organic mix, where the water soaks in so readily that no "dry pockets are formed". If you used a very clayey or organic mix, the time taken to soak all of the soil would be much longer than the time you spend watering, so you would end up with dry dense pockets that the roots cannot penetrate.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have just picked p some pond baskets online really low cost and nice and HD. Planting some japanese maples in them. Will
get some good rood ramanfication after a couple of years.

goosewing

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just picked up a pond basket to repot my JWP. But for the life of me I cannot find any posts describing how/whether to secure the tree to the pond basket like one would do in a normal bonsai pot. Would anyone mind clarifying this?

goosewing

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just picked up a pond basket to repot my JWP. But for the life of me I cannot find any posts describing how/whether to secure the tree to the pond basket like one would do in a normal bonsai pot. Would anyone mind clarifying this?
Bump! Anyone with insight on how/whether to secure a tree to a pond basket? Thanks!

Top Bottom