pond baskets

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
Will like I said 14x14 is too small... You're attempts at humor seem to be lost on me.

Andy, I agree I will build my own.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soory,what I meant to say clearer was that if I ever see the 3 foot by three foot sizes or larger on line, I will let you know.

But it may well be cheaper to build your own. Whatever slays your dragon. Goodluck.

Will

bonsaibaka

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Back to the original question... yes, I have been experimenting with growing Bald and Pond Cypress in pond baskets. The BC is in water and the PC is just watered alot.

I like the fast trunk growth that has happened with the BC. Last year it was about 1/4" thick. After 1 1/2 years in water the trunk has increased to over 1". As stated earlier, the foliage is large and rank however, that's not my goal right now. As the trunk gets close to where I want it I will start weaning it off of the constant water diet.

One other drawback is that I am getting thick, white beansprout type roots growing through the basket and into the water. Not the best technique for developing fine roots close to the trunk but, once again, that will come later.

I have also found basket colander type things at the asian food stores for less than $3 a pop. The colors are awful but who cares? I like the shallowness and they come in assorted sizes and shapes.

Hope this was of some help.
Mike

Attachments

• BC.JPG
    BC.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pond Cypress.JPG
    Pond Cypress.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 39
  • colander.JPG
    colander.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 45