Pond cypress.....who knew?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's good to have a bonsai buddy that was raised in a family-run plant nursery and majored in horticulture in college. He came for a visit and was just about to get in his truck when he looked across the neighbor's yard and said " Hmm, that cypress tree looks strange." We walked over to take a look. No problem.....the neighbor and I are pretty tight. Come to find out, it's a pond cypress. I've been living here two years and never really noticed.

Well, I took a couple dozen cuttings and put some in with my big bald cypress in it's flooded pot, some in potting soil and threw a few in just plain water. We'll see what happens.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's been a few days and the little bit of foliage I left on some of the cuttings is still vibrant and green. There are a couple of tiny green dots showing, too. Fingers crossed.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Joe Dupre' how did this turn out? I was planning on taking a dozen pond cypress cuttings today from the park near my house.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not good. Didn't get one to root. Funny you should ask. Just today I found a couple of the cones that were dried and about to lose their seeds. I planted them in a shallow tray and I'll see how those do. I plan to watch the tree for more dried cones and plant those too.

Top Bottom