Pond root over stump weeping willow?

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A neighbour of mine wants to put a chinese weeping willow on top of a stump in the neighborhood pond. He knows I'm into trees, so he asked me if it would survive if we tied it to the stump in a root over rock fasion. The roots would only see water initially. is this something a willow can survive? Here is the stump, it moght be 3 feet deep at that point. Here's a photo of the stump.
image.jpeg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I'd say there's a good chance - willow branches readily root in water after all.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just remember that the stump will decompose. Probably quickly. And that will leave you with a hovering willow, which could look bad ass, but could also be extremely unsteady if the roots arent deep and thick.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it will be destroyed by the elements.

But, I want to see pictures!
You must do it!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it will work. Willows like water but don't grow in the middle of ponds like a cypress. They can take the trunk being submerged for some time but not all of the time. They live on the edge of ponds.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hollow the top out a bit and plant it in not on top of the stump, Actually anchor it to the stump with long screws and let nature take its course...

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hollow the top out a bit and plant it in not on top of the stump, Actually anchor it to the stump with long screws and let nature take its course...

Grimmy

I like that....

I was thinking just cut some regular willow branches and jam them in the soil all the way around the stump.....
Jam a few in there.....

Tie em all down and see what happens.

One sole nursery "Chinese" willow sounds like a waste of time.....

But out of 20-30 cuttings, something has to take.
I'd use branches from the closest willow around. One that knows the pond, the weather, already.

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
F**k it! use the stump as root stock and graft some bald cypress branches to it. that'll work right?..

Top Bottom