Ponderosa #2

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This tree looks great. I enjoy it’s looser style, it’s not over done. The scale of the foliage relative to the trunk is especially nice.
What would you say is the minimum trunk diameter to aim for while collecting to have good scale? I know needles can reduce a bit, but in terms of trunk size, what would you recommend?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This tree looks great. I enjoy it’s looser style, it’s not over done. The scale of the foliage relative to the trunk is especially nice.
What would you say is the minimum trunk diameter to aim for while collecting to have good scale? I know needles can reduce a bit, but in terms of trunk size, what would you recommend?

4 inches is about the minimum usually. 5 inches is just right for ponderosa in my eyes.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Walter (@Walter Pall) , I was wondering if you can share some knowledge with Ponderosas. Would you apply some wood hardener or any chemical to exposed deadwood? I have a yamadori that has plenty of deadwood and I'm afraid it might develop wood rot if I don't protect it in any way....

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Walter (@Walter Pall) , I was wondering if you can share some knowledge with Ponderosas. Would you apply some wood hardener or any chemical to exposed deadwood? I have a yamadori that has plenty of deadwood and I'm afraid it might develop wood rot if I don't protect it in any way....

regarding deadwood ponderosas are no different form any other conifers. Use the same treatment.

Top Bottom