Ponderosa bending

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I purchased this tall bunjin-y Pondo from Andy Smith early in 2014. it looked like this when I got it. A few months ago I did a little bending at the top to bring things together a bit. the vision i had was more bunjin, with foliage at the top.

The other day, when replacing the tension wire, I got the urge to continue the bend significantly more, and took a leap. I didn't seem to need anything more than raffia and tension wires - and used a wooden spacer block to separate the trunks, otherwise the bend would be forced to touch by pressure. The smaller branch wiring with the thick black aluminum wire is only temporary, to keep the branches up off the pot and allow me to winter the tree. they will still have a lot of flexibility next year when i continue this progression. I will also be setting a new potting angle as well.

I will work up a sketch to show my idea for branches and foliage, but i think i like this being tucked under and has completely changed the look of the trunkline.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 106

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the bend back but I just do not see it being "tucked under" . I would rather see it bent back and just over the trunk or just off to the side of the trunk. Growing under the trunk will cut down light to the foliage there and restrict/impede foliage growth especially that which will touch the trunk as it reaches upward.

ed

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Nice! Now to get it real healthy and work up your bud count. I am always a little hesitant to do major bends this time of year (around our parts) being they won't grow or heal until next year. But then these things are tough and resinous and it may be perfectly fine thing to do. Anyway it has a much more interesting future now.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good looking start. I love Ponderosas and got 2 burlap bonanza trees from Andy in '14 myself but he told me DON'T wire them for 2 years. Was yours a BB tree or one more established? Mine did great last year and I got needles 3 times as long as the wild ones and new porcupine needles coming on now. Next year I'll start the wiring.

Top Bottom