Ponderosa display options

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rustic display for a club show that accepts trees in all stages of development. Better with legs or without? Other comments? I still have to do the pre show clean up.

Attachments

• A7A91488-37A7-425B-99A6-312042BEC170.jpeg
    A7A91488-37A7-425B-99A6-312042BEC170.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 6207E00E-0336-4C7D-A29D-792FF1CF5D9A.jpeg
    6207E00E-0336-4C7D-A29D-792FF1CF5D9A.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 92

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Since the trunk and pot are so substantive and the legs are so slender, I vote no legs. Also, to me, that tree wants to have a direct connection to the earth below, and the legs interrupt that connection.

I don’t hear surfer music playing in the background, but I do picture a dude with a barrel chest wearing skinny jeans.

Awesome tree. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No legs for me, given the strong movement/flow of the tree the legs give me a feeling of instability

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you’d need to photograph it sitting on the correct color cloth. Being on a dark cloth will change this sooo much. Do you know what color runners they use?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought the antique pipe wrenches for legs was a brilliant idea, and then thought less of them when I saw the tree on the stand. I'm thinking no legs too. But I still want to find a way to use the pipe wrench leg concept for something.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you’d need to photograph it sitting on the correct color cloth. Being on a dark cloth will change this sooo much. Do you know what color runners they use?

I'm trying to remember from last year. I think they're white. I agree, the weathered board would probably get lost sitting directly on a dark colored cloth.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought the antique pipe wrenches for legs was a brilliant idea, and then thought less of them when I saw the tree on the stand. I'm thinking no legs too. But I still want to find a way to use the pipe wrench leg concept for something.

Those four pipe wrenches attached in a similar way to a square base could make really groovy stand for a cascade. Maybe the “pot” could be a box made of old recycled wood. Or, maybe there’s a way to use an antique Coca Cola, Mobile, etc. wooden box with a logo on it. Maybe the cloth below could be an old cloth with “Plumber’s Union #1234” or something. Those wrenches open up a lot of creative ideas.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It certainly Could use the height....
But a beefier base/stand.

Nice tree/pot.

Love the wrenches! Do it somewhere!

S

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could you do a compromise, and shorten the legs so they are not so prominent? If they were stubs, I think that may suit the display better. I know you’d have to use something else other than the wrenches sadly though, and they are cool.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If there was some way to shorten the height of the wrenches- I do think the tree and slab could benefit by being raised a bit- I'd do it. As it is, I think the wrenches are a bit too thin for the height they provide and their irregular shape is distracting. If I had to choose, I'd go without.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, what do you want people to remember? The tree or the wrenches?

If you have other trees you are going to display, and this is a tree you’re tossing in “just for fun”, then it’s ok to show it with the wrenches.

I believe all displays should feature the tree as the focal point. Pots, stands, accents should enhance the tree, not distract from it.

That said, there’s no reason you can’t have a bit of fun.

My display of the Olive at the Nationals, has a frog!

137401C5-7CDE-45F9-B691-6D808CABB70B.jpegD31A1E57-9DBF-4BEF-870F-0C0BBED90A21.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could you do a compromise, and shorten the legs so they are not so prominent? If they were stubs, I think that may suit the display better. I know you’d have to use something else other than the wrenches sadly though, and they are cool.

Yeah, I have some railroad spikes that I could try to use......

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, what do you want people to remember? The tree or the wrenches?

If you have other trees you are going to display, and this is a tree you’re tossing in “just for fun”, then it’s ok to show it with the wrenches.

I believe all displays should feature the tree as the focal point. Pots, stands, accents should enhance the tree, not distract from it.

That said, there’s no reason you can’t have a bit of fun.....

Yes my main tree is a very traditional display. Since this is my first time in this show I'm not even sure I'll be able to put in more than one tree. I'll prepare two or three and see what happens,

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The spikes sound pretty spot on height and chunky wise. I’d love to see it.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those four pipe wrenches attached in a similar way to a square base could make really groovy stand for a cascade. Maybe the “pot” could be a box made of old recycled wood. Or, maybe there’s a way to use an antique Coca Cola, Mobile, etc. wooden box with a logo on it. Maybe the cloth below could be an old cloth with “Plumber’s Union #1234” or something. Those wrenches open up a lot of creative ideas.
First attemp at something like you suggest27E51D50-7CF3-487B-8A6F-B05EBE9F6EE1.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The spikes sound pretty spot on height and chunky wise. I’d love to see it.
Might need to sink them deeper. That would mean they would penetrate through the top. 06C15E11-ED8C-4CB7-9B9E-AE3FB3D2B96E.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It does feel too tall still. If they came out the top would it look awkward or interesting? And would it split your slab at that point?

Top Bottom