Ponderosa From Burlap Bonanza

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only while working on it. It is a pain when the needles get in the way and get tangled and it is so much easier when they are bundled together. Remove immediately after. :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Removing needles from the underside makes wiring a lot easier because you can thread the wire through the remaining needles. Not sure that the ponytail works because you can't wire close enough to the tip.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good point but I wasn't wiring the small branches...more like wiring and bending the bigger/older ones (like Chris is doing) and the needles are always on my way (getting damaged too).

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Finished it last night. Had a place for all the branches. I like the end result, but, as i looked at it further, I feel it's too tame looking. I think I need to have a branched jin or two to have it look more natural. First is from front, second is sl. rotated to left to show where I think the jins would look better. Also, the r. hanging branch needs to be tucked in further. Easier to see what's wrong with it seeing it blown up in a picture lol

IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2500.jpg

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Dorothy, I'll get some close up pictures of the branches. I wired all the branches up and used them all in the design. But there are several jin options due to other nearby branches that can fill the space. I figured, knowing I wanted some jins, wiring them to similar shape of other branches so that when I jin them, they are shaped correctly.

Anyway, more pics to follow.

Thanks!
Chris

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Dorothy, I took 3 sessions, using my Canon. Just too many needles to see clearly enough no matter what angle or lighting I used. So I'll post some pics, but I don't think it's going to help.

IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2542.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
A thorough job, Chris. Looks good to me! :D
Now I'm going to put you on the spot: 5 years from now, I'll look for this tree in the display at the Mid-America!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
A thorough job, Chris. Looks good to me! :D
Now I'm going to put you on the spot: 5 years from now, I'll look for this tree in the display at the Mid-America!

LOL Steve! I'd love to enter it by then, that is, if I'm still here in 5 yrs. (We still miss Ca. and will return when the opportunity arises, though by the looks of things presently, I'll be here :confused:)

But I'll only enter it if I do get some halfway decent ramification by then. I've seen too many PP's displayed with too little ramification, and they didn't do much for me. So this is my main goal, needle length reduction I'm less concerned with. And I need more carving practice before I tackle the large jin. Thanks for making me make the commitment Steve ;)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Well the stress from the styling has caused some sort of fungus? it's white bands on the needles, with a black spot on the underside of the needle...so some sap sucker. Not tan or brown like needle cast. I haven't seen this disease before.

Any ideas? I'd like to treat it asap! Thx.

IMG_1561.jpg

Edit: I think I found it, it's woolly adelgids. Easy to treat at least!

https://www.google.com/search?q=y+b...ca%2Finsects%2Fbehaviour%2F1%2F2%2F12;800;519

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Well the stress from the styling has caused some sort of fungus? it's white bands on the needles, with a black spot on the underside of the needle...so some sap sucker. Not tan or brown like needle cast. I haven't seen this disease before.

Any ideas? I'd like to treat it asap! Thx.

View attachment 43739

Edit: I think I found it, it's woolly adelgids. Easy to treat at least!

https://www.google.com/search?q=y+b...ca%2Finsects%2Fbehaviour%2F1%2F2%2F12;800;519

Well, it's been a month after treating w. systemic Bayer tree and shrub. I examined it closely last night, and I still have a few areas with adelgids. Harder to get rid of than anticipated. And I even picked off that I saw the first go around. I'm going to pick off the remainder, and give it a foliar spray of Bayer and put back in storage.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are any of your other trees affected? Assuming you have other pines..

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Nah, just this one. I have pines and junipers nearby so I gave them a light application.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I like the progression, Chris. Keep us updated.

Thanks Steve. Looking at it for awhile now after that styling. And I'm not sure I made it short enough in total ht. Seems like the trunk is still too small for that amount of branching/foliage. Next yr I hope to make some jins, to reduce the foliage quantity and see if that helps the image overall?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Styled last yr and potted up this spring.

Needs some tweaking, I'd love to make this smaller, but at this time, don't see how.

Attachments

• untitled-79.jpg
    untitled-79.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
  • untitled-9.jpg
    untitled-9.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 74

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I can not figure out what the final plan is. Do you have a virtual...the needles are too many so I just see some branches going up and some down...but hard to figure.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Neli, The needles are just super long, not numerous. I've super fed this to get healthy and back bud since I got it. This yr. I'm holding back all ferts until needles hardened so will begin with needle reduction. The branching you mentioned looks not right now, but that's going to be part of apex. It'll look better when I reduce the needles, and branch length over time.

Top Bottom