Ponderosa in VA

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been meaning to start a thread on this tree to track my progress and the other recent thread on Ponderosa got me kick started. I bought this tree from Andy Smith last spring. It was just extending candles when I got it. Andy thought it would be ok to wire the tree so I did that but didn't go crazy moving things around. I kept all the branches for now. This photo is from last October.

IMGP0287_zpsccrmp2lr.jpg

I want to wire it again with copper, and do a better job, but I'll probably wait until next year. Last year, I fertilized it heavily and gave it plenty of water. It grew long needles but it also produced a lot of new back buds this year. 2018-04-02 18.40.48.jpg2018-04-02 18.39.49.jpg

My plan is more of the same this year. Hopefully I can really increase the needle volume in the next couple years which will give me more options to wire and hopefully shorter needles too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this one needs a top reduction. The top extension isn't going to get appreciably larger in girth and will always make the tree look like a sapling.

Collected ponderosa already have a lot of character in the lower third of the trunk. That's why they're collected. That is the portion of the tree that needs concentration...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd also think about really compressing this tree - either with a top reduction or heavy wiring.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys. I have stared at this tree quite a bit over the last year and that "ah ha" moment hasn't hit me yet. I've played around with the idea of bending this thing into a pretzel to compress it or maybe losing everything above the 3rd heavy branch on the right and using that as the new trunk line. A long jin at the top could tell a story of one top dying off and another replacing it.

pondy.jpg

But...I've made the mistake before of hacking away at a nice tree and regretting it later.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd say make the (above) reduction and if it's not tickling you the right way... knock it off after the third branch. I don't have ponderosa, and know nothing about them, but those needles seem pretty short to me, unless the tree is huge. I like it

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd make the reduction you have marked and then as Mcpesq suggested compress it with more severe bending of the remaining branches. Pondys can take extreme bends--can take a bit of effort but you'd be surprised how much. The wiring you have on there now is pretty tame and not really approaching what can be done.

Before doing that, however, read on HOW to do it. Some recommend soaking a branch overnight with a wet towel, which, in my experience, can make branches pretty pliable...also raffia or vet wrap are your friends.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats. Have 3 from Andy myself. Do you have Mirai Livestream? Ryans Favorite tree and much good advice and guidance in archived videos;). LOVE seeing all new backbuds coming on.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congrats. Have 3 from Andy myself. Do you have Mirai Livestream? Ryans Favorite tree and much good advice and guidance in archived videos;). LOVE seeing all new backbuds coming on.

I do have it and think it's a very valuable resource.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Year 2 with this Ponderosa. I spent a little time after work today with this tree. I removed some unwanted branches to compact it a little and did some work on the apex. I want to rewire the whole tree now that my wiring skills are at least passable. The wiring I did last year bugs me but it's holding and not cutting in yet, so a full rewire can wait.

I'm leaving this tree taller for now. I can always shorten it later but I like where it's at so far.

2018-06-05 19.22.23.jpg

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's filling out nicely. There's no rush on wiring, important thing is to get it established, healthy and vigorous.

In terms of wiring, the branches are very flexible and my sense is that they will only really "set" if you wire in pretty tight bends. My guess is that having tiny breaks in the branch that the tree heals helps the setting process.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A box showed up today on my doorstep from South Dakota.

2018-06-13 20.59.38.jpg

A peek inside.
2018-06-13 21.00.19.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good starting movement. Starting out as Ryan suggests all foliage tree can use for energy production is good to have. Also some help in getting bigger trunk. Once strong and lots of green(3-4 years)might suggest use short part of branch having tags as jin and great movement of main trunk as tree to develop if this appeals to you;).

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
That second one is a beauty. Ponderosa are my fav. species.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro! Killing it with the first one!
Great Slow approach!

Almost Free? What!

Nice!

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sat with this tree all of last year resisting the urge to start hacking away at it because I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do. I would look at it every few days, hoping for some inspiration but nothing was apparent. In the words of the great Curly, I was tryin ta think but nuthin happened.

Then one morning I saw something and about 15 minutes later it was done.

2019-03-11 18.37.30.jpg

I think I improved it, although it's got a ways to go still. The pot now looks way too big to me but that's ok because the plastic pot it was planted in is just sitting inside of this one. Anyone in the market for a big ass Jack Hoover pot? I'm thinking this would look cool on a slab if I can find the right one.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one was different in terms of my vision for it. I pretty much knew what I wanted to do about 15 minutes after I unpacked it. I pruned and wired it last June and potted it last weekend in this cool Jack Hoover oval that my wife bought me for Christmas.

2019-03-11 18.38.28.jpg

I got the planting angle slightly wrong but fixing it can wait a few years. For now, I'll give it a break. This year I'm going to fertilize the crap out of both of these trees starting now to see what kind of budding I get this fall. They'll grow huge needles but that's ok.

Top Bottom