Ponderosa pest

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
First, what is this pest?
Second, what is the best way to destroy him and his brothers?

They seem to be crawling on the needles of one of my smaller ponderosas, which has lead to an eventual death in the needle. I manually killed 30 or so, but I am sure there are more. So far, it doesnt look like it has gotten out of control, but I want to squash the issue before it becomes serious. This tree was collected 1.5 years ago and I acquired it about 2-3 months after it was collected.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 77

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know. Wish I did as I just bought a ponderosa collected this year. Perhaps just treat it now before any further death? I'd use Neem oil first, and then and insecticide. Better safe than sorry imo.
Good Luck!

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They do resemble aphids but I've never seen them colonize pine before. Interesting, not in a good way, if that's what they have morphed in to doing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They do resemble aphids but I've never seen them colonize pine before. Interesting, not in a good way, if that's what they have morphed in to doing.

I have seen it...on the woody branches of a Virginia pine. They were REALLY hard to see. In fact, it was the ants that caught my attention.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't know. Wish I did as I just bought a ponderosa collected this year. Perhaps just treat it now before any further death? I'd use Neem oil first, and then and insecticide. Better safe than sorry imo.
Good Luck!

Bad advice!! Mixing pesticides is a terrible idea (Neem oil is an insecticide)!

If these are aphids, a simple soap spray is all you will need to use.

Top Bottom