Ponderosa pine back buds

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ah, I understand.

Andy Smith, of Golden Arrow, usually checks in with Forest Rangers, or BLM site managers, and finds out where the logging contracts are up for upcoming cuts. The vast majority of his collecting is from areas that will be logged, and anything too small to make dimensional lumber will be stripped, piled up and burned. In other words, where he collects, the trees are doomed, and will be dead and gone within a few months of his going in to collect them. But don't take my word for it, talk with Andy. Talk with Todd Schlafer, and the others. Find out how they get their trees. If it is by being just ahead of the logging crews, I see no moral issue with keeping a collected tree.

But I understand your hesitance. For example I will not buy wild collected orchids for my orchid collection. Or at least in the last 15 years or so, I have changed my stance on wild collected orchids. So I understand where you are coming from.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But I understand your hesitance. For example I will not buy wild collected orchids for my orchid collection. Or at least in the last 15 years or so, I have changed my stance on wild collected orchids. So I understand where you are coming from.

Yeah, I've got the same stance on orchids too. All of mine are known to have been propagated in a nursery with the exception that I have a coryanthese macrantha. I know mine was a division of a larger plant but I don't know the provenance of the larger plant. At some point it was obviously collected...but as seed, division or entire plant, I don't know.

Yes, I know there are people who "rescue" trees that are doomed. Or that work with the local BLM. I do not have an issue with that. I enjoy growing from seed/seedling. I don't enjoy vetting others behaviors.

Since you have vouched for Andy at Golden Arrow and I greatly respect your character as much as it comes across in this forum, I will likely take a look at what he has available. At the moment, though, I'm content with dorky little pine :)

Top Bottom