Ponderosa Pine No 3

fore

Omono
Reaction score
This is a newly arrived PP that again, thought it deserved it's own thread.

It's backbudding and ready to be worked. But I want to live with it before I make a decision, besides, not the time to be styling this anyway.

Attachments

• PP3.jpg
    PP3.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 205
  • PP3-2.jpg
    PP3-2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 203
  • PP3-3.jpg
    PP3-3.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 197
  • PP3-4.jpg
    PP3-4.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 216

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is a newly arrived PP that again, thought it deserved it's own thread.

It's backbudding and ready to be worked. But I want to live with it before I make a decision, besides, not the time to be styling this anyway.

Are you certain this is Ponderosa? It looks a lot more like Lodge Pole. Either way it's a great tree.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was once told to remove the flowers or cones on ponderosa pines in the spring because they take too much energy from the tree. Have you ever heard of this before?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Are you certain this is Ponderosa? It looks a lot more like Lodge Pole. Either way it's a great tree.

That's why I asked Randy multiple times as I thought the same. But it's a pp.

The only problem I'm going to have is where the T branch is, one of the branches has a small separation from the main trunk making big bends questionable unless raffia alone will keep it intact. I'm going to discuss this with Ryan in July.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I was once told to remove the flowers or cones on ponderosa pines in the spring because they take too much energy from the tree. Have you ever heard of this before?

I have Dave, and I removed them all on my other two pp's. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Today as I've got the whole day to play!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought 3 Yamadori Ponderosas from Randy Knight and one is flowering. He told me DON"T remove them. They won't hurt the tree and you will likely damage it if you do. I know the last from bad experience. When they dry out after awhile they can be brushed off easily with no damage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The pollen cones wont hurt anything but if they set cones I would think about it. But I don't grow Pondies and Randy grows a lot of them.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's why I asked Randy multiple times as I thought the same. But it's a pp.

The only problem I'm going to have is where the T branch is, one of the branches has a small separation from the main trunk making big bends questionable unless raffia alone will keep it intact. I'm going to discuss this with Ryan in July.

Lodgepoles have 2 needles/ cluster and pondys 3 so no problem to verify.

Great trunk, looking forward to updates.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
sara.JPG I now agree, way too easy to damage candles. Btw, I'm about to pot this pine up in this oval Sara Raynor pot. Now that I have some nicer material, I need to buy some appropriate pots. Hard to afford education, trees and then pots lol These are just 2/4 of my pot collection.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lodgepoles have 2 needles/ cluster and pondys 3 so no problem to verify.

Great trunk, looking forward to updates.
Actually some Ponderosas have 2 needles as well. This may be subspecies or even within a subspecies. To me the long needles said it wasn't a lodgepole right off. I agree that this is a great tree with some great movement to start with. As for the split I've seen a screw used to hold things together and help them heal and insure no further damage at that point. I'd still use raffia and be very careful at that joint anyway. Don't worry about removing the screw. Just use the smallest one that'll do the job without splitting the branch and let the tree grow around it.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pollen cones wont hurt anything but if they set cones I would think about it. But I don't grow Pondies and Randy grows a lot of them.
Hi Master Vance. I got to visit Ryan Neil and his many outstanding trees last summer and noticed several of his Ponderosas had nice miniature but mature cones on them and this supported my personal leanings. I think that if any of my pines get them I'll be happy to have them as they show the tree is mature. I've also wondered why if folks want fruit and flowers on their fruiting trees why we shouldn't want fruit on our conifers?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that oval, it oughtta look good in it!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Cones are OK on mature and healthy trees, and maybe not so much on trees that are not. It is believed that they steal energy from the tree and the belief is true. Any living thing that has some sort of method of reproduction will expend energy doing so.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most ponderosa pines in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington have 3 needles. Most ponderosas in Wyoming and Colorado have 2 needles.
This is just a natural geographic variation.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most ponderosa pines in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington have 3 needles. Most ponderosas in Wyoming and Colorado have 2 needles.
This is just a natural geographic variation.
Huh, whaddya know eh? I've never heard of the 2 needle pondys before. Never seen a two needle pondy north of the border except for very young trees, thanks for the correction.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cones are OK on mature and healthy trees, and maybe not so much on trees that are not. It is believed that they steal energy from the tree and the belief is true. Any living thing that has some sort of method of reproduction will expend energy doing so.

As I myself do.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Talked to Ryan about this tree this last weekend. At the top T split, it's slightly separated. Some come next style, I'll need to support the junction by supporting the first couple inches with a piece of wood vertically, and then I can safely make the big bend needed. Nice to have a game plan.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please err on the side of caution. This tree deserves it.

Top Bottom