Ponderosa Pine Workshop

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just got back from a workshop with Andy from Golden Arrow Bonsai and thought Id share some pics and my experiences. First off, Andy seems like a great guy - really laid back but ready to help. He walked a good line between letting the participants decide the direction to take their trees and offering his advice and suggestions, a couple times jumping in and getting a particularly tricky cut or bend completed. He brought some great material and was very knowledgeable about his trees. Im very happy with the overall experience.

I was fortunate enough that our club leadership allowed us to pre purchase our material, so hopefully I wasn't too annoying getting Andy to send me pics of what he planned on bringing. I picked out a tree with movement i really liked.

IMG_20190808_130753.jpg

This is from his website, but the tree was more or less unchanged on arrival. The before pic I took at the workshop has some faces in it so ill use this one for the sake of privacy.

After many cuts, bends, and jins, here is the final product home and cleaned up. I also got that nice little suiseki stone from him. You should check out his website if you havent already (www.goldenarrowbonsai.com)

IMG_20190822_153413.jpg

Im happy with the results so far, and I think Ive set it up for a good look moving forward. Im going to let it rest this year and build up vigour again and next year will finish up those jins and probably bring down the apex a bit. I havent decided if i want to keep the bottom branch or remove it and crank in that second branch closer to the trunk I figure Ive got plenty of time to decide. Feedback is welcome!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My experience with Andy was the same. Great guy.

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s a great juxtaposition you’ve created with the suiseki rock and the tree. It has a nice balanced and tranquil feeling.

Ponderosa pines were abundant where I went to summer camp as a child, I would love to smell one again! Do these still have that magnificent smell on their bark when we have just one in a pot at home? (That is seeming like a stupid question already.... but animals in captivity can be less “vibrant” than their wild counterparts, so...I dunno maybe trees too?)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s a great juxtaposition you’ve created with the suiseki rock and the tree. It has a nice balanced and tranquil feeling.

Ponderosa pines were abundant where I went to summer camp as a child, I would love to smell one again! Do these still have that magnificent smell on their bark when we have just one in a pot at home? (That is seeming like a stupid question already.... but animals in captivity can be less “vibrant” than their wild counterparts, so...I dunno maybe trees too?)

It definitely had a vibrant smell when I was wiring it, whole car smelled like it for the hour and a half drive home. I repurposed an old pole cemented into our backyard when we bought the house and its now a specimen piece in our garden.

IMG_20190907_135928.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here we are today. This guy is really happy in my garden. I'm still of two minds about that lowest branch, but for now I kinda like it.

Any opinions on what you guys see in this tree are welcome!PXL_20210804_225037141~2.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would keep. Long stretch of bare trunk without it. Not sure but might shorten branch above to last branch before tip.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here we are today. This guy is really happy in my garden. I'm still of two minds about that lowest branch, but for now I kinda like it.

Any opinions on what you guys see in this tree are welcome!View attachment 389958
Cool tree!

I kind of wish there was more counter balance. More weight on the left side.

I wonder if that apex could be brought down and the primary branch brought closer. This would create more balance and a smaller overall design?

I’m just spit balling here…overall it’s a great tree and great start! (And my picture mark up skills suck, so I apologize in advance!)
99053795-2675-4BD0-BDC0-5EDF102BCAE9.jpeg4CFED9F6-0EAB-4E04-9A22-0B4B7DDF077C.jpeg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’d shorten that bottom branch if it were mine and bend the top branch to the left more. Other than that, I like the whispy style to it, it will fill up over time. I have a ponderosa from Andy purchased as a B&B option. He seems like a great dude from my interaction via email, will be there for next springs B&B material. Good looking Bonsai

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Any opinions on what you guys see in this tree are welcome!View attachment 389958

This is a great ponderosa! Personally, I would definitely leave the bottom branch. Probably shorten at at some point.

The main thing I’d recommend is to compress the apex. You can make it look much more “full”with some 6 gauge copper and a guy wire, for sure.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree!

I kind of wish there was more counter balance. More weight on the left side.

I wonder if that apex could be brought down and the primary branch brought closer. This would create more balance and a smaller overall design?

I’m just spit balling here…overall it’s a great tree and great start! (And my picture mark up skills suck, so I apologize in advance!)
View attachment 390025View attachment 390026

Interesting. Let's descend on Music City Bonsai in a couple months with our ponderosas and discuss. 😜

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like all of these ideas, especially regarding compacting the apex and shortening out the middle branch!

Top Bottom