Ponderosa pine yamadori

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Little experience with pines here and zero with Ponderosa, but as far as appearances it looks so much better.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Little experience with pines here and zero with Ponderosa, but as far as appearances it looks so much better.
Thanks, I think I made the right decision on the direction to take this one. I still feel there is some tweaking that needs to be done with the trunk but that'll be taken care of soon. Then all I need to do is get the branches set which should only take about an hour, then wait till autumn to do needle work. It'll get a smaller pot next spring.

Aaron

J. Adrian

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow, beautiful ponderosa, I have one as well and it is my favorite tree, it is a collected specimen from Medicine Bow, it was gifted to me and I love the tree, I need to purchase a tree from he website as well, I know we spoke about collecting but now I am getting more serious about going to visit and doing this man. what is the time frame and process for this there.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, beautiful ponderosa, I have one as well and it is my favorite tree, it is a collected specimen from Medicine Bow, it was gifted to me and I love the tree, I need to purchase a tree from he website as well, I know we spoke about collecting but now I am getting more serious about going to visit and doing this man. what is the time frame and process for this there.
This tree was collected in October 2015 by @arcina . Time frame is late winter/early spring or late summer/early fall when new growth has hardened off and the heat of summer is fading away. The process is very different for different ecosystems. I've collected ponderosas from an old growth forest and I just trench around the tree about 10"out take home and pot up as is. He collected this tree from a rock outcrop and said that the whole root ball was growing in a pocket, only 2 roots were severed and the tree came up. This is definitely one of my favorites in my collection.

Aaron

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Can you explain the choice of the branch bend direction? What a base & bark!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can you explain the choice of the branch bend direction? What a base & bark!

I liked the angle the tree stood in nature, but it was still very tall at that angle. We decided that if we took it all the way over, the branches would nearly set themselves up to be styled and it reduced the size of the tree.
We actually bent over to the left, then took another guy wire from the top portion and brought it forward, that set everything in place and balanced the tree nicely.

Aaron

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think about using nitrogen free fertilizer in the spring/fall? I have read Colin Lewis is a big advocate of this approach.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What do you think about using nitrogen free fertilizer in the spring/fall? I have read Colin Lewis is a big advocate of this approach.
Well non of my pondys are quite to the stage that I need to worry about needle reduction. This year I'll use a slow release low nitrogen organic fertilizes spring-summer, in autumn I'll bump it up and use some fish emulsion once a week to really get it ready for next spring at which time it'll be repotted. I'd say I'm the next 3-5 years I'll start worrying about needle length which will be easier once they are in a smaller container and have less access to water/nutrients. Then I'll use no nitrogen most if the year.

Aaron

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom