Ponderosa Pine

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
New to the forum, so be easy. Repotted and just beginning to push new buds. This ponderosa pine is originally from South Dakota. I cannot take the credit for the stying over many years, but it is in good hands and adapting well to the south. I have to watch out for to much rain and I have made a simple pot cover to protect form over watering during heavy rains.

Dano:)

Attachments

• 100_1595.jpg
    100_1595.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_1593.jpg
    100_1593.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 124

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
They don't get much better than that !

Ciao,
Harry

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent looking tree indeed!

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Ponderosa Pine at Night

Guys, a better picture of the tree at night. It casts really great shadows against a solid background late in the afternoon.

Dano:)

Attachments

• 100_1607.jpg
    100_1607.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the apex was brought back over the base instead of moving to the right, I believe a lot more stability would be achieved. It looks like the tree want's to fall over.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another pot?

I don't know if the root system would allow it, but ever thought about another pot for this beauty?

The current pot weighs the tree down. It's too deep and the design is wrong. A rounder literati-ish (but not extreme literati) pot might give this tree some extra "ooomph." Something along the lines of the pots here:
http://www.albrightpots.com/pots_nanbans.htm

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the apex was brought back over the base instead of moving to the right, I believe a lot more stability would be achieved. It looks like the tree want's to fall over.

Very nice tree. I agree with Rick on the apex.

Oh and welcome. :D

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I think the apex is fine. This is not an informal upright, it is slanting. The left branch could be brought out a little more. I think a scoop pot would look good with this tree.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How about this for a vision. Should be posible in a year.

Attachments

• 100_1607-2.jpg
    100_1607-2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 74

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Rockm

Those are great looking pots at allbright. I really like the nabans but I would really need a big one for the Ponderosa pine. Is Albrightpots in England, I thought I saw his prices in pounds.

Dano

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks Walter. I have printed the picture as a guide. I enjoy reading your articles.

Dano

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Albright pots

Yes. He's in the U.K. He does make huge nanbans upon request. I've got one that's 18" in diameter. I bought it 12 years ago however.

Dale Cochoy at wildthings bonsai makes similar nanbans, for less however. He's also in the U.S. I believe he can make similar large sizes on request also.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Dano;

Here's some constructive design criticism :) I will probably have lots of people who will disagree with this, but I have come to learn that sometimes you need to take dramatic action to get to the right solution over the long term. I think you are always going to struggle with this tree as long as it has the switchback in the trunk in the upper 1/3. It has no taper, is too long, and it bends the wrong way for the natural growth habit of the tree:

pondo1.jpg

Additionally, the lower branch on the left is too long, and has unnatural curves designed into it.

Personally, I would wack off the top 1/3rd of the tree down to here, and remove the left branch:

pondo2.jpg

Then I would work on building a new design using the right branch, and the back branch to build a new apex. I would even consider grafting branches before I used the current trunkline.

Just my opinion - trying to suggest options that will get you to a better place down the road.

pondo3.jpg

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the apex is fine. This is not an informal upright, it is slanting. The left branch could be brought out a little more. I think a scoop pot would look good with this tree.

hhmmmm....

Attachments

• StylesOfBonsai.gif
    StylesOfBonsai.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom