Ponderosa pine

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I always cut the needles on Ponderosa because pulling requires too much work with big fat needles. Also I keep a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol next to me and I spray/wipe my scissors and hands every 5-10 minutes because it does get sitcky =)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wrists have been itching for the last three days. I think I'm semi-allergic to getting pricked by the needles. I also had sap everywhere. It's worth it to see how refined they look after the work. It'll be a good before/after set of pictures

Keep a bottle of white vinegar nearby for pine and juniper. The itching will be relieved by a little rubdown of vinegar.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The tree is looking great, but the heavy branch on the upper right is a little distracting. It could go and help the overall profile, or be wired down into the negative space where you can see the sunshine on the roof behind it.

And the sap comes off hands with a little mayonnaise...true.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Great looking tree. Curious...how long has it been since you've had wire on it?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
It was only wired once in 2010. Wire came off in 2011 when it started to bite into the branches. Just time for refinement.

Last edited:

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the new planting angle as well. I can see that you are slowly moving it into a more upright position which keeps the tree dynamic but adds interest and helps the jins have a more positive input on the overall composition. Nice work...definitely heading in the right direction!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks great, good move on the planting angle.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It looks great! Hard to imagine I'm surrounded by these trees here where I live.... Haven't tried one yet.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree and a great job with it!

Lots of nice pondys down this way, Grants Pass/Medford area. May I ask your advice on when to dig one from the mountain? I have my eye on one that's about five feet tall.

Top Bottom