Ponderosa pine

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I've been busy repotting as many trees as possible because of the warm weather we've been having in the northwest. My Kiyohime maple is already leafing out.

But here's another project with pictures from more angles most of you would care about...

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
y2

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice material, keep us posted to it's progress.

Keep it green,
Harry

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
This tree has a number of possible fronts - but because of the main trunk movement and potting angle - the upper third of the trunk appears to fall away from the viewer or lean towards the rear - in some of the photos as in photo #3. I would not worry about the front just yet. There are alot of dead branches at the base that need to be stripped and turned into jins etc. Once you complete all of this work - this may further inform your decision - or you may decide to break them off further. I would also dig down abit and see what type of surface rootage you have - this may determine how you eventually pot this tree up. It is the type of tree that you need to leave out in your yard where you can view it from multiple angles over time and then decide which way is the preferred viewing angle.....cool tree. Tom

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has a number of possible fronts - but because of the main trunk movement and potting angle - the upper third of the trunk appears to fall away from the viewer or lean towards the rear - in some of the photos as in photo #3. I would not worry about the front just yet. There are alot of dead branches at the base that need to be stripped and turned into jins etc. Once you complete all of this work - this may further inform your decision - or you may decide to break them off further. I would also dig down abit and see what type of surface rootage you have - this may determine how you eventually pot this tree up. It is the type of tree that you need to leave out in your yard where you can view it from multiple angles over time and then decide which way is the preferred viewing angle.....cool tree. Tom

Along the same lines as what Tom said, in my limited experience with Ponderosas, as you clean out weak/unnecessary branches and figure out how much you can bend the branches you want to keep, you may find yourself changing the intended front.

With my ponderosas, I spent quite a bit of time viewing them from all angles and distances, and first started with repotting them in well draining soil, removing the native soil, in the front I envisioned. I let the trees get strong for a year, then started working on them and noticed that the my original front had to change. Maybe people with more experience can envision the tree from day 1 and work to that goal, but for me, I noticed that my fronts and designs tended to change a bit as I worked on the branches. Get it in the ballpark and keep the tree healthy - old collected trees are usually a long-term project.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Buddah,

I wouldn't worry about the front or re potting just yet. I also wouldn't remove any branches, you will be able to use every one of them. I think the planting angle will change quite a bit with this tree so re potting now will need to be redone next year anyways.

Do as suggested and clean the jins on the bottom, and see how that changes the look of the tree. Then try tilting it on different angles and see how it looks. You could go cascade with this, upright, slanting....the possibilities are somewhat endless.

I know for fact there is a killer tree in there....You can bring it out and we can work on trees one day and work on this one if you want....PM me if you want.

See Ya

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Here's a quick drawing that is very pathetic! But it gives you a rough idea.

Picture 3 shows the slingshot at the top and makes the middle section of the trunk very straight and also takes the movement at the bottom away. This option is the worst of the bunch from the trees standpoint.

Picture number 2 is showing some promise. Why? Because it shows the lower movement in the trunk, the movement comes to you. The middle of the trunk has movement now and the slingshot at the top is no longer an issue. At this angle the trunk leans right instead of away from you as in picture 3.
It also allows for the jins to be used in a good way and for the branches to be used in a way that will form a pleasing tree.

The red arrow on the left is basically the angle you took the picture on. The arrow on the right is the angle I would propose to use so that you are looking into the lower movement and the trunk comes to you and to the right instead of just to the right. This adds dimension which lacks from many bonsai/trees out there. This will also maximize the movement of the tree.

I know it is hard to convey on a forum as opposed to in person...but I hope you get the jist and my poor drawing gives you a rough idea, lol!!

bonsai-31.jpg

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Jason,

Thanks for taking the time. I think I'll try what you suggested but that back branch is going to be hard to incorporate in the design. It might have to go. I cleaned up the Jin and I just need to start shaping it. When's the best time to do the heavy bending? It's already bleeding quite a bit when I barely clean up the jins.

I'd love to work on trees with you when I eventually get better stuff from Randy.

The RMJ and this ponderosa were two cheapies I wanted to experience with first.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Manny, good job on somewhat awkward material. The big capital T is tamed :D
Wood

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Looks much better... removing that branch was a big decision.

I would wire that jin and put some downward movement in it asap before it dries. It is a bit too straight and 90 degrees from the trunk as of now.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love how the jins at the base bring the composition from muddy to interesting. Now that there is more foliage to choose from, i think you need more of it to the left of the trunk. Since the tree is already leaning right, more foliage on the left will bring more balance.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Removed a pound of last years needles yesterday. It is getting a full wiring job this week.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wrists have been itching for the last three days. I think I'm semi-allergic to getting pricked by the needles. I also had sap everywhere. It's worth it to see how refined they look after the work. It'll be a good before/after set of pictures

Top Bottom