Ponderosa Pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, Thanks so much for the good words, I appreciate it! Although I have been here a while :)

Oops, my bad, my first few weeks here were a little hectic. ;)

Well, welcome back, nice to see you, about time I said hello, see ya soon, have your people call my people, it wasn't me, and have a great night!

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason, timing is always tight with regards to intensives. However, as my daughter will be stationed ad McCord Air Force base in the near future, I expect to be in the area some time this fall. We will have to stay in touch... and I have had the experience of bringing a tree back checked as luggage. No Thanks! Write fragile on it and watch as the baggage handler picks it up and throws it eight feet to the back of the truck!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No Thanks! Write fragile on it and watch as the baggage handler picks it up and throws it eight feet to the back of the truck!

Chris, here is your chance to revenge yourself with the baggage handlers of the world. Just pick up one of Jason's sumo ponderosas and sit back and enjoy as the baggage handler throws out his back just trying to get it off the truck much less get it in the cargo hold.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Updated

Hello all,

Here is an update on this little pine..... As you can see an all new front, used to be the left side and a complete restyle. This was a fun tree to work on.

See my Blog for a bunch more photos....

Thanks, Jason

EDIT!! Holy cow that is the best and biggest photo I have been able to attach!!!!!! Sweet!! I found the trick! :)

Attachments

• 140_4054.JPG
    140_4054.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 185

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Jason,

improving in every respect. Starts to look professional. And the images are much better. Keep going.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Because of the twists and turns of the upper trunk, as well as how the base is oriented over the rock - AND if memory serves the massive roots that run deep and lengthwise along the length of the pot (why we potted it that way) - I will have to rely upon your judgement that this is the best long-term front (as opposed to the current front, re-styled). That said, it does look pretty bitchin' from the pics!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Va Va Va Voom, great job Jason! I really like this tree a lot, it will stop a lot of people in there tracks.

Now that my emotional side has vented. The analytical side wants to know what the needle length is on that Pondy and is it this years needles?

Once again nice job

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Because of the twists and turns of the upper trunk, as well as how the base is oriented over the rock - AND if memory serves the massive roots that run deep and lengthwise along the length of the pot (why we potted it that way) - I will have to rely upon your judgement that this is the best long-term front (as opposed to the current front, re-styled). That said, it does look pretty bitchin' from the pics!

Hey Hootie!

The root in th old front (see avatar) does run to the right but it is not as big and deep as you remember. Roots can easily be shortened, and we are talking about 6" or less to get it into the next pot. I am not worried in the least about the root situation. The depth of the current pot is good IMO, I don't think it will ever be in a shollower pot than it is in now.
I know for a fact that it is a much better tree now that I have restyled and changed the front. It was good before don't get me wrong but now it is much better and the movement is excellent now where as before it was just good. This is the best long term front.

Va Va Va Voom, great job Jason! I really like this tree a lot, it will stop a lot of people in there tracks.

Now that my emotional side has vented. The analytical side wants to know what the needle length is on that Pondy and is it this years needles?

Once again nice job

Hi Tom!!

THanks for the good words, I have no doubt that this will be a show stopper for sure. The bark is the best I have seen on a ponderosa or any other pine for that matter. As for the needle length, the longest ones are 2" which look just fine on this tree. The scale is very good...if they got much longer it could start to get out of whack.... I will keep them in check though.

Thanks again for the good words, glad you like it!

Jason

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Update....

Here is an update to my little pine..... Repotting pictures and a bunch of restyling pictures can be found on my blog, (link in signature).. Not the right pot....but I working it down....
nov272006yamadoribefore_001-525x396.jpg

PPrepot4.jpg

Thanks, Jason

Guess I should update my avatar pic.. :)

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is priceless. I love it.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jason,

I was a little skeptical of the new front, but I now see where you were going, and it is looking good!

-Darrell

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Jason,
Nice little pine!
I wondered about the color of the needles in this pic, but I see from the photos on your blog that they are much greener ...
The movement in the trunk is really good but it seems your chosen front hides a lot of it. I'm sure in person it looks wonderful.
Thanks for the update.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
This tree is priceless. I love it.
Thanks Ryan, it has come a long way and is one of my favorites.

Hi Jason,

I was a little skeptical of the new front, but I now see where you were going, and it is looking good!

-Darrell
Thanks Darrell, pictures just don't do it justice...you will see next time you are out...my yard and trees look nothing like the last time you were out.

Hey Jason,
Nice little pine!
I wondered about the color of the needles in this pic, but I see from the photos on your blog that they are much greener ...
The movement in the trunk is really good but it seems your chosen front hides a lot of it. I'm sure in person it looks wonderful.
Thanks for the update.

Hey Jay,

Yeah, the pictures are pretty weak here..... the trunk has excellent movement and believe it or not the new front has much more dynamic movement its just that a 2d picture doesn't bring it out. In person it is a winner. This little pine has a long ways to go still but it is well on its way to getting there. I will post updates as I needle prune and rewire..... as of now only the bottom 2 branches are fully wired. Pretty good for the tree to take that kind of shape with only 1 year of wire.

Thanks, Jason

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Darrell, pictures just don't do it justice...you will see next time you are out...my yard and trees look nothing like the last time you were out.

Thanks, Jason

Speaking of which.... Did you get those logs set yet? Or was the crane too busy? Gonna have to get a pic up after you get that done.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Updated

Hello everyone,

Here is a new version of this pine....This thread shows it from day 1 and you can also see the whole progressions on my blog with many more pictures in all phases of the restyling. http://jasonsbonsai.blogspot.com/

Starting to become a good bonsai now I think :cool:
What I started with a few weeks ago
Aug2009016.jpg

After losing interest and getting kinda busy I returned to whip this out. What fun!!
IMG_7165.jpg

Aug302009222.jpg

Enjoy!

Jason

Top Bottom