Ponderosa Styling Idea

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My first ponderosa is presenting me with a bit of a challenge. I want to use as much of the existing material as possible. The biggest challenges on this tree in my opinion are the limited views of the base, and the vertical-horizontal-vertical of the main trunkline. The base appears to be ALMOST a reverse taper right at the soil line if viewed from a couple of angles. The trunkline means that as potted now, the tree mass wants to fall over backward. So my design must not only work visually but actually balance the mass as well.

I spent about 2 hours this weekend just watching and turning, watching and thinking. I think I have it. There seems to be a natural "front", so photos are front, side, back, top.

pondo-212-front.jpg
pondo-212-side.jpg
pondo-212-back.jpg
pondo-212-top.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first ponderosa is presenting me with a bit of a challenge. I want to use as much of the existing material as possible. The biggest challenges on this tree in my opinion are the limited views of the base, and the vertical-horizontal-vertical of the main trunkline. The base appears to be ALMOST a reverse taper right at the soil line if viewed from a couple of angles. The trunkline means that as potted now, the tree mass wants to fall over backward. So my design must not only work visually but actually balance the mass as well.

I spent about 2 hours this weekend just watching and turning, watching and thinking. I think I have it. There seems to be a natural "front", so photos are front, side, back, top.

View attachment 41943
View attachment 41944
View attachment 41945
View attachment 41946

I think pic 2 is your front and the right side gets rotated up 30 degrees or so. Forget about all the foliage you can put that where you want it. From the base of the soil to the first branch is how you find the front!!

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Design

This tree has wonderful old bark - just look at those flaky layers....

pondo-212-bark2.jpg

pondo-212-bark1.jpg

OK, on to design. I actually had another view as my front, based on my initial review of the base. This tree doesn't have much for nebari. Then while looking at the "front" it hit me and I clearly saw an angled flat topped foliage crown. My first virt retains the lower left branch with the possibility of wiring up more and using the foliage to augment the main mass. I did not virt that part.

Pondo-212-virt1.jpg

I then took a look at what it might look like if I jinned the left branch.
Pondo-212-virt2.jpg

These designs require me to wire the very tall end of the main trunkline down and into the main foliage mass. This way 100% of the branches with foliage within that mass are still not lignified and can be wired AND will backbud to fill in the foliage mass.

Finally, while I didn't virt it, I think the trunk will need to be tilted to the right further to reduce the angle of the foliage. The trunk will allow this visually in my opinion.

Open to suggestions and critiques.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don't have nebari forcing your choice, I would try to choose any planting angle other than straight vertical.

Top Bottom