Ponderosa workshop

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got back from a workshop Andy Smith put on with the Iowa Bonsai Association. Definitely a good time. It's funny how you can spend so much time trying to get a lot of separation with individual branches then you take a pic and you end up looking like you just have a big clump.

It'll probably spring 2011 before this guy gets a pot. The only different treatment that I think this one will receive than any of my other trees is I'm planning to wrap a towel around the pot to keep the roots from parboiling.

Anyways.. here's before and a couple after.

Attachments

• Ponderosa.jpg
    Ponderosa.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Ponderosa1.jpg
    Ponderosa1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Ponderosa2.jpg
    Ponderosa2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 91

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Nice! I think I've seen this tree's picture on Andy's website.

I'll enjoy seeing periodic updates, if you care to post them.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
It'll probably spring 2011 before this guy gets a pot. The only different treatment that I think this one will receive than any of my other trees is I'm planning to wrap a towel around the pot to keep the roots from parboiling.
Anyways.. here's before and a couple after.

HUH????

Please elaborate.....

Thanks, Jason

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The root systems in ponderosa pines are susseptable to heat damage, even death, if they get too hot - 100 degrees F.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Are you sure? A wild ponderosa growing in rocky ground in the Badlands is going to have to resist some fairly high root temperatures, I would think. :confused:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The root systems in ponderosa pines are susseptable to heat damage, even death, if they get too hot - 100 degrees F.

That is a HUGE myth..... they love the heat!! Infact the hotter the better on ponderosa roots. Heat is a good thing when it comes to producing roots on ponderosa. We have hundereds of them in black nursery contianers on black matting in full sun and I assure you for several weeks in the summer the roots will get above 100 degrees.

To protect roots on a pine from the heat is to do the tree an injustice and slow down development.

In nature the roots and tree are getting pounded by the hot sun all summer long, life in a pot for them is a vacation!

Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree grog! Let me know when you can come down for a workshop at Pavement Ends...I have ideas on your juniper and I'd love to see this guy.

Chris

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
That is a HUGE myth..... they love the heat!! Infact the hotter the better on ponderosa roots. Heat is a good thing when it comes to producing roots on ponderosa. We have hundereds of them in black nursery contianers on black matting in full sun and I assure you for several weeks in the summer the roots will get above 100 degrees.

To protect roots on a pine from the heat is to do the tree an injustice and slow down development.

In nature the roots and tree are getting pounded by the hot sun all summer long, life in a pot for them is a vacation!

Jason
Would this apply for South Texas?
Irene

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Would this apply for South Texas?
Irene

Yes, I wouldn't think twice about leaving ponderosa in pots in your climate unprotected. I wouldn't protect them in the winter either......I tried to look up statistics on your winter but didn't find much. What I found on areas near yours thought I would worry about not getting a good enough dormant season.... The root balls love to be frozen in the winter, same with RMJ. I wouldn't protect RMJ in your climate either.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Jason

Well I guess I'll have to "throw in the towel". Yuk yuk yuk. I printed quite a few ponderosa articles that I read up on which indicated the need for cool roots. Now that I think about it though a lot of them were from the early to mid nineties.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree grog! Let me know when you can come down for a workshop at Pavement Ends...I have ideas on your juniper and I'd love to see this guy.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I like it quite a lot. There were a lot of gorgeous trees and when the workshop finished I would've put this tree with any of them. I definitely want to get back down to your place the schedule has just been rough. The juniper.. well.. I took it to my introductory IBA meeting just to kinda show what I had that I was working on and .. I need to update that thread.

Top Bottom