Ponderosa

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I attended the Golden State Bonsai Federation convention this past weekend in Santa Clara CA.
Met lot's of old friends. Among them were Dan Robinson and Victrinia Ensor.
Talking to Dan about old times reminded me of the time in 1986 or 87 when we created this Ponderosa pine rock planting, using a Dan collected ponderosa. The occasion was the Bonsai Society of San Francisco annual exhibit.
Dan styled he tree while I put together the rock. After all these years, it's thriving. The height including pot is 32 inches. Picture taken today.

Attachments

• dan-mike-ponderosa.jpg
    dan-mike-ponderosa.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking great. Nice to see trees that have been worked on by forum members for 25 years :D Thanks for sharing.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I see the unconventional use of the imagined apex though my eye becomes distracted by the shepherds crook or dentists gouge.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mike for your timely post and photo. It happens that I just completed reading 'GNARLY BRANCHES, ANCIENT TREES', Will Hiltz's hot new book (with photography by Will H. and Victrinia Ridgeway) on the life & works of Dan Robinson. So glad you got to see your old friends again and could share your ponderosa with us. NICE.

GREAT great book. Every one of us would benefit from, not just reading, but getting totally immersed in it. Plan on spending the better part of the coming winter soaking it up. It's that good. :)

Last edited:

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Dan was vending his book at the the convention, so naturally I bought a copy. Signed by the author! Well, not exactly the author.

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dan was vending his book at the the convention, so naturally I bought a copy. Signed by the author! Well, not exactly the author.

Actually it is signed by the author... and the subject..... and one of the photographers.....

ie.... Dan.... Will (grouper52) and Vic all signed copies being sold from Elandan Gardens.....

ohh and you met me too... because I was there... with my wife.... who's last name is no longer Ensor....

I am just the lowly student

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Believe me honey... I've tried asking for my name to change... but apparently that isn't something which is done. It'll catch on eventually. :D

Glad you loved the book Tom... It is pretty darn cool... and one thing I love is that it is resonating with people both in and out of the art. It's a universal story that most people can admire, and sometimes long for... that notion of a life long dedication to something you love. That the story is interesting and the photos and layout are excellent is frosting on the cake... but it's the way his life has followed a thread that is most compelling.

V

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Kool story, nice tree.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom